Front Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

As you can see on this picture, my front deraillieur is slightly bent

Attachments

• 20200429_104233_HDR.jpg
    20200429_104233_HDR.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 10

figbat

Slippery scientist
As you can see on this picture, my front deraillieur is slightly bent
It looks like the clamp has rotated around the seat tube.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The derailleur is clamped on to the upright tube of your frame (the seat tube). It looks like it has taken a knock and been turned slightly on the tube. As @Spiderweb says, you can loosen the clamp screws and twist it back so that it lines up with the chainrings on your crank. Try not to change the height of the clamp, just slightly loosen the clamp, turn it to align it and then tighten the screws again. Then see how this works.

C R

Guru
what does that mean then...What do i need to do?
You need to loosen the clamp so that the whole derailleur can turn, then rotate the derailleur until the plates are parallel with the chain, being careful that the derailleur doesn't move up or down, and then retighten.

Beaten to it by @figbat.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

You need to loosen the clamp so that the whole derailleur can turn, then rotate the derailleur until the plates are parallel with the chain, being careful that the derailleur doesn't move up or down, and then retighten.

Beaten to it by @figbat.
thanks but...But when i do that, when i alligned it, it touches the chain

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

In which combinations of gears does it touch? Does it touch when big front small rear?
it touches when on chain ring on top biggest cog...if that makes sense

C R

Guru
it touches when on chain ring on top biggest cog...if that makes sense
You mean that the chain always touches the derailleur when on the biggest ring?

If that is the case, try turning the adjuster in the front shifter anti clockwise half a turn or so, see if that makes a difference. Make bsure you align the derailleur first, though.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

You mean that the chain always touches the derailleur when on the biggest ring?

If that is the case, try turning the adjuster in the front shifter anti clockwise half a turn or so, see if that makes a difference. Make bsure you align the derailleur first, though.
okay...what is this adjuster in the front shifter...sorry,,,rather thick at my age

figbat

Slippery scientist
Basically there are two screws on the top - each one sets how far the derailleur can move either to the right (H) or to the left (L). If one of the screws isn't set right the derailleur doesn't move far enough and can rub the chain. The video takes you through it.

C R

Guru
okay...what is this adjuster in the front shifter...sorry,,,rather thick at my age
You are not thick, you are learning. None of us were born knowing this stuff, we learnt it at some point like you are doing now.

Trace the gear cable back to where you shift the front gears, where it enters the shifter there will be a knurled nut, that's the adjuster. If there isn't one there, there will be one somewhere along the cable, which will work the same way.

Follow the video @figbat just posted, just be careful not to pull the H screw too far out, or the chain may come off the outside of the ring.

Top Bottom