Front Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Basically there are two screws on the top - each one sets how far the derailleur can move either to the right (H) or to the left (L). If one of the screws isn't set right the derailleur doesn't move far enough and can rub the chain. The video takes you through it.
yup..i know now..thanks

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

You are not thick, you are learning. None of us were born knowing this stuff, we learnt it at some point like you are doing now.

Trace the gear cable back to where you shift the front gears, where it enters the shifter there will be a knurled nut, that's the adjuster. If there isn't one there, there will be one somewhere along the cable, which will work the same way.

Follow the video @figbat just posted, just be careful not to pull the H screw too far out, or the chain may come off the outside of the ring.
okay...so if i unscrew the screw a bit then do what...sorry guys...Probably making your lives difficult
Thanks for helping though

C R

Guru
okay...so if i unscrew the screw a bit then do what...sorry guys...Probably making your lives difficult
Thanks for helping though
Unscrewing the adjuster pulls the derailleur out from the frame, moving the plate away from the chain. If the derailleur doesn't move when you do that it means that the H screw needs to be backed out a bit to allow the derailleur to move.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Unscrewing the adjuster pulls the derailleur out from the frame, moving the plate away from the chain. If the derailleur doesn't move when you do that it means that the H screw needs to be backed out a bit to allow the derailleur to move.
when you say backed out...what does that mean...Sorry

tom73

Guru
Watch the clip you've been given it will all make sense.
It may all sound a bit hard but it's not really just watch the clip and do one thing at a time.
I had was in your position a few weeks ago but worked it out with a bit of help from Kelvin.
Go slow and steady remember if you turn a screw the wrong way you can always turn it back again.

Reactions: C R

Smudge

Veteran
From this picture you posted on your other thread, the front derailleur seems to be way too far up the seat tube. It should be down nearer the largest chaining.

1588162208228.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, that’s too high. You need to unclamp the cable and move it down. the Cage should be about 2mm (the width of a medium screwdriver blade) from the top of the big ring cog.
Wwhile the cable is free adjust the screws to see how it moves the mech and test by moving it by hand to find the correct position.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
From this picture you posted on your other thread, the front derailleur seems to be way too far up the seat tube. It should be down nearer the largest chaining.

View attachment 518716
@Smudge is right, the derailleur is way too high. The outside plate should be only about three millimetres above the top of the teeth of the big chainring.

Loosen the clamp, lower the derailleur to set the plate distance as above, make sure that the plates are parallel to the chainring, clamp again, and then follow the video posted by @figbat to set cable tension and limit screws.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Unscrew, counterclockwise.
erm i did this, but now, there are 2 bits of wire under the frame bit, which leads to the brakes. This is very baggy, and has loosened after i tried to fix the deraillieur. The deraillieur is now parallel, but it is clearly bent, as you can tell that, when you go into the smallest or biggest cog on the front chain ring, it will scrape.
Any idea how to fix the wires from being loose

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you've moved the front mech down towards the chain ring, that will have slacked off the gear cable tension. Same could have happened if you rotated the clamp.

You now need to loosen the cable clamp holding the front gear shifting cable, pull all the excess slack through, then re-tighten it. Make sure you do this when the shifter's in gear one (the smallest chain ring) or you won't be able to do it properly. To fine tune the cable tension so that the mech cage is centred over each of the chain rings when shifting gears, you then need to use the barrel adjusters on your front shifter on the handlebars.

Before you ask how to do this.... have a google for videos/guides on indexing front derailleurs (process is basically the same as for rear derailleurs). It can take a little while to get it spot on so you don't get any chain rub on the cage in any gear combo, but it is do-able!

Don't be disheartened if it takes you a while or seems difficult. I made a right pigs ear of these sorts of jobs first time I tried them, but they do get much easier and now it's just a routine easy fix. Once you've got the knack of it, you'll be streets ahead of most people who can't "do gears".

Downside is if your mates find out they'll all be asking you to fix their bikes for them :laugh:

Top Bottom