Front Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Re-read my previous posts for more detail :smile:

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
Here are a couple of examples of the cable clamps:

EF422685-7818-45F0-AA70-BBCBC2DA6125.jpeg

41349024-A019-4A70-8303-8ABE930C1FB8.jpeg

On these you loosen the small nut (just enough for the cable to move), then pull the cable tight and retighten the nut, making sure the cable is still caught between the nut and the rest of the derailleur.

Before you do this make sure the shifter on the left bar is set to the lowest setting (finger trigger pulled).

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Thanks to all you guys:laugh:, i have fixed the slack.....Thanks all very much:hello:
Just the actual deraillieur is still very annoying, i think im better off getting a new one....I positioned it where it should be, but cause its bent, it still rubs when im in a certain gear....But i will just have to keep the front gears on the middle cog...That's the only way to not let it rub

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Here are a couple of examples of the cable clamps:

View attachment 518833
View attachment 518834
On these you loosen the small nut (just enough for the cable to move), then pull the cable tight and retighten the nut, making sure the cable is still caught between the nut and the rest of the derailleur.

Before you do this make sure the shifter on the left bar is set to the lowest setting (finger trigger pulled).
thats what i mean....That's what i call simple explanation:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
what and where is the cable clamp.
What would happen if i started riding my bike and just left the cable with a little slack?

It won't change gear properly.

Make sure your chain is in the smallest front chin ring. Follow the slack cable and you'll see an allen key socket on the mech. Undo this slightly, and pull the slack tight as you can. Then tighten. Please watch the videos. The mech isn't bent, it's just not aligned.

The 'blades' on the cage of the mech (the silver bits) need to run in a line of the chain rings - i.e. needs to be parallell. Think 2 lines like this.. II

It was too high up, so you've now got slack dropping it down. You can't really mess these up. Make sure straight and parallel, make sure the cage (silver bits) are a few mm from the big chain ring, then get rid of the slack.

With a triple, you'll get some rub as some points when in the cassette.

Watch a fair few videos - you'll get it.

You are going to need to if MTB'ing and jumping and stuff, as these mountain bike things need constant maintenance.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Thanks....When lockdown stops, im going to take it to Halfords to get a proper service

ChrisEyles

Guru
Nice one!

Might be worth giving the barrel adjusters a couple of turns in either direction to see if that fixes the chain rub (didn't look like your mech cage is bent, just a set-up issue, they're quite finicky).

Put "gear shifter barrel adjuster" into Google image search before asking here 😀

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will rub in some gears anyway being a triple. You can't get all 8 on the back in each one in the front.

Small front, you can maybe get the 6 biggest on the wheel, the middle, most middle gears, the biggest on the front, 6 smallest without rub.

Also check the chain ring runs straight (when viewed from top) when spun.

C R

Guru
Thanks to all you guys:laugh:, i have fixed the slack.....Thanks all very much:hello:
Just the actual deraillieur is still very annoying, i think im better off getting a new one....I positioned it where it should be, but cause its bent, it still rubs when im in a certain gear....But i will just have to keep the front gears on the middle cog...That's the only way to not let it rub
Great job, good progress. The rubbing sounds like a set up issue. The pdf I linked to explains how to adjust it to minimise rubbing, but you will get chain rub if you try to use the large cogs with the big ring or the small cogs with the small ring.

Top Bottom