Front Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Not sure what the "little bit of wire" could have been.

There are two different types of barrel adjuster - one that threads into the shifter/brake lever/bike frame like this:
View attachment 518897
Another which just slots into the shifter, and turning the barrel moves the inner cylinder relative to the outer, like this:
View attachment 518898
If your barrel adjuster looks like the bottom image (which I suspect it will from what you've written), then it just slots into the shifter, and the cable tension holds it in place.

i.e. it doesn't screw directly into the shifter - sorry my earlier posts were probably a bit confusing there, I had the top image style design in my head when writing them.

Confusing stuff, but on the plus side you are learning a lot :smile:
thanks...yup i think it does. So if i slot the barrel adjuster into the shifter, and hold it there, what do i need to do then. Cause if i let go, it will just come out again.
Sorry, im feeling guilty of making your lives so difficult...I really apploagise:angel:

tom73

Guru
Always remember we all started out not knowing stuff.
It's easy but only when you know and have done it a few times and even then you still can get in wrong.
At least he's having a go many don't.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Time to buy a new deraillieur....The screw has snapped and i cant fix it....Can someone suggest a new one using the pic of my bike i posted, what one i should get....Not too expensive though

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

i now need help to get a new front deraillier....my one has snapped....Anyone help me find a cheap one.
The only thing is, i dont know how to take the chain and everything off to get the old one off and the new one on

C R

Guru
i now need help to get a new front deraillier....my one has snapped....Anyone help me find a cheap one.
The only thing is, i dont know how to take the chain and everything off to get the old one off and the new one on
How did the derailleur snap? Can you post photos?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

How did the derailleur snap? Can you post photos?
no, its not the actual deraillieur. Its the screw thats snapped where you loosen it to reposition it. Half of its in one side and other other's come off....So half the screw stuck in 1 side:angry:
V annoyed, as a planned a really nice cycle for tommorow, as its quite sunny, but now my plans are reoned all this month:ohmy::ohmy:

C R

Guru
I think it is an M4 thread. You should be able to unscrew the bit that is left using pliers, and then find a screw of the same size to replace it. I will check the Shimano site and confirm which screw you need.

C R

Guru
no, its not the actual deraillieur. Its the screw thats snapped where you loosen it to reposition it. Half of its in one side and other other's come off....So half the screw stuck in 1 side:angry:
V annoyed, as a planned a really nice cycle for tommorow, as its quite sunny, but now my plans are reoned all this month:ohmy::ohmy:
Looking at the Shimano drawing you need an M5 screw which is 18.5 mm long. Search on eBay for M5x20 socket head screws, there will be plenty, cheaper than a new derailleur.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I think it is an M4 thread. You should be able to unscrew the bit that is left using pliers, and then find a screw of the same size to replace it. I will check the Shimano site and confirm which screw you need.
Not really because the screw is totally inside it basically, and there's nothing sticking out of it to be able to unscrew it.
I think i need to take the chain off, and buy a cheap deraillieur.
But i need to know how to take the chain off.
I watched a video, and they had a little clip that they pushed and then chain came apart, but can't see one on mine

C R

Guru
Not really because the screw is totally inside it basically, and there's nothing sticking out of it to be able to unscrew it.
I think i need to take the chain off, and buy a cheap deraillieur.
But i need to know how to take the chain off.
I watched a video, and they had a little clip that they pushed and then chain came apart, but can't see one on mine
Can you post a photo of where the fragment is stuck?

The little clip is something you don't yet have. You'll need a chain tool and a quick link for the appropriate size of chain, think you said yours was 8-speed? look up KMC Missing Link, 8-speed. But you will need to get, and most importantly, learn how to use (Park Tool on Youtube if possible) a chain tool. I'd suggest the Park Tool Mini CT-5, because it will also be useful to keep in your on-bike tool kit. If Youtube not available, the CT-5 does come with clear instructions.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
The little clip is something you don't yet have. You'll need a chain tool and a quick link for the appropriate size of chain, think you said yours was 8-speed? look up KMC Missing Link, 8-speed. But you will need to get, and most importantly, learn how to use (Park Tool on Youtube if possible) a chain tool. I'd suggest the Park Tool Mini CT-5, because it will also be useful to keep in your on-bike tool kit. If Youtube not available, the CT-5 does come with clear instructions.
I still think that trying to fix the derailleur might be easier and safer.

Top Bottom