Front fog lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
God knows. People around here often drive with fog lights on in the middle of summer.

GrasB

Veteran
  • "It looks cool" - no it doesn't it makes you look like a twit
  • People think it gives better illumination of the road
  • They saw a tiny patch of mist 3 miles ago so turned them on & kept them on just in case they come across another patch of mist
  • Fog lights are on a latching switch, legal requirement for their use IIRC, & 4 days ago they really did need fog lights on but forgot to turn them off

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The Police in Manchester used to stop people and give them fines for having fog lights on when not needed. I don't think that happens anymore, judging by the number of people with them on these days.

green1

Über Member
Why? Please, anybody tell me why. It seems to be a growing disease, there are even cars driving on side lights and front fog lights. I just don't get it, so want to stop one and ask them why.
To make up for the headlight(s) that has died and hasn't been changed for months.

MrsDangermouse

I have to admit that I do occasionally use them when its not foggy because the dipped headlights on our Z4 are pathetic: they are properly adjusted, bulbs are good, but maybe because they are so low to the ground they don't really illuminate the sides of the road very well. So on winding country roads in the dark I tend to use them to give better visibility as there's usually quite a bit of traffic so full beams aren't an option. They do get turned off again once I'm back on a a road with street lights. I know it annoys some people, but as it isn't actually affecting them and it keeps me a bit safer then I don't see what the problem is.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Police in Manchester used to stop people and give them fines for having fog lights on when not needed. I don't think that happens anymore, judging by the number of people with them on these days.

That's because there aren't any Police cars on patrol on the roads any more, haven't you noticed? When was the last time you saw one? It means that the muppets who think the law doesn't apply to them can go around breaking the law with impunity. I don't do it but there's never been a better time to drive while drunk or with a van full of stolen copper cable; unless you have an accident you have a 100% certainty of getting away with it.

Road policing nowadays consists of letting ANPR technology do the job for them. The M6 motorway Police station at the Preston / Tickled Trout exit has about 15 Police cars in the compound, which seem to be parked there permanently as there are never any gaps when I drive past. When they do go out on the road the ANPR reads every passing numberplate, it can read dozens a minute and check them against DVLA records and the Police National Computer, which also holds any reports of bad driving filed by the public. Thus technology covers up for the drastic lack of Police on the roads. Meanwhile, TV programmes like Police, Camera, Action help to create the impression that the boys are out there picking up all the baddies.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Although the legislation is clear on when not to use front fog lamps:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/part/III/made regulation 27

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.
(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.
(c)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

I can't help feeling this is a hangover from when foglights used to provide a low level but intense and far reaching dazzling beam parallel to the road surface. The fog lights on both our current cars provide mainly side and front illumination below and up to the level of the dipped beam, with a very sharp upper cut-off designed not to dazzle at all. I guess that there is too much variation from vehicle to vehicle to provide a way of permitting general use in clearer conditions. However, round here where the roads are in an appalling state, they are really useful for avoiding deep pot holes in country lanes.

GrasB

Veteran
Now I know this is only a personal observation but whenever I am driving and I see a car behind me in the distance that has front fogs on, it is almost always going to be driven fast and will end up tailgating me, just a coincidence?
See the first item on my list. Do you think the attitude of drivers who want to look cool is going to be?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
They aren't necessarily fog lamps... since all manufacturers had to comply with changes requiring daytime driving lights every new car has to have some lights at the front. Mine has small driving lights which I can't turn off [unless I get into the car software set-up] where the fog lamps would be if I could have afforded a more expensive one with separate fog-lamps as an extra.

They aren't necessarily fog lamps... since all manufacturers had to comply with changes requiring daytime driving lights every new car has to have some lights at the front. Mine has small driving lights which I can't turn off [unless I get into the car software set-up] where the fog lamps would be if I could have afforded a more expensive one with separate fog-lamps as an extra.
Good point and I hadn't realised that although I am fairly sure many of those I see are not as you describe, my car has front fogs and daytime driving lights [which I usually switch off unless gloomy or raining]
See the first item on my list. Do you think the attitude of drivers who want to look cool is going to be?
I confess I am at a total loss here, how does it make you look "cool" :huh:.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/fog-234-to-236

GrasB

Veteran
However there's a distinct visual difference between DRLs/low level dipped beam lights & fog lamps.

I confess I am at a total loss here, how does it make you look "cool" :huh:.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/fog-234-to-236
I think it all started in the early 90s with photos of cars with fog lights ablaze in motoring mags. In all honesty they did make the cars look nicer in terms of composition, however it's become a fashion, thus cool, to switch the fog lamps on all the time.

Top Bottom