Front light on handlebars or helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bad on helmet for two reasons:

1 - It doesn't cast shadows of the terrain ahead so bumps and holes are harder to spot.

2 - Off road it's likely to get clouted by a branch, damaging it or hurting my neck.

Bodhbh

Guru
Last time I cycled across central London, I was sat at the lights somewhere between Waterloo and Euston when I noticed the reflectives and high vis on whole bank of cyclists opposite were all lit up like Christmas. I wondered wtf was going on, then noticed the guy beside me had a helmet light. Maybe they have their place for trail riding and in the sticks in the middle of the night, but they seem completely OTT for urban cycling. I can only assume everyone opposite thought the the aliens had landed or the second coming was in progress. Or they were just blinded to f**k.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A helmet light to be seen by is fine, it won't be strong enough to dazzle others, but a helmet light to see by is inconsiderate and dangerous when used on an urban commute.

The other night I was riding home, closely followed by another cyclist for much of my route. He was wearing a very powerful helmet light which caused me (and no doubt others) serious problems. Each time I checked behind me prior to turning right or changing lane, this guy's light dazzled me so much that I couldn't see any other vehicles approaching from behind.

Eventually I said, "Mate, could you turn that down a bit? It's absolutely blinding."
His reply? "fark off."

I suggested he stand in front of the mirror at home and see how bad it is, then rode behind him the rest of the way.

GC

Crankarm

Guru
As a driver or a rider, helmet-mounted lights on bikes coming towards me are horrible things. They dazzle (dangerous for you) and make it dificult to get a fix on your distance, speed or location (dangerous for you). THey do also make you look like a nobber.

Well said.

Crankarm

Guru
A helmet light to be seen by is fine, it won't be strong enough to dazzle others, but a helmet light to see by is inconsiderate and dangerous when used on an urban commute.

The other night I was riding home, closely followed by another cyclist for much of my route. He was wearing a very powerful helmet light which caused me (and no doubt others) serious problems. Each time I checked behind me prior to turning right or changing lane, this guy's light dazzled me so much that I couldn't see any other vehicles approaching from behind.

Eventually I said, "Mate, could you turn that down a bit? It's absolutely blinding."
His reply? "fark off."

I suggested he stand in front of the mirror at home and see how bad it is, then rode behind him the rest of the way.

GC

If one of these nobbers is coming toward me dazzling me they get a Max D on full power right in their face. The nobbers don't like this. Ha-ha!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
1 Ay-Up on the bars, a second rear facing Ay-Up fitted with red Saxon Caps on the helmet. I wouldn't put a front facing light up top for the same reasons that has been said above. If your bars are lit up enough why would you need more.

Very weak helmet light is great on busy commutes. I ride in London and due to the sheer volume of stationary traffic my handlebar light is often obscured. Helmet light is above most cars and can also be directed at, say, cars coming out of junctions which are not at an angle to notice otherwise.

As orthers have said it should be a 'to be seen' light only.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
No! Helmet mounted front lights are a menace.

As a driver or a rider, helmet-mounted lights on bikes coming towards me are horrible things. They dazzle (dangerous for you) and make it dificult to get a fix on your distance, speed or location (dangerous for you).

So a well positioned helmet light with the beam pointed down is worse than a badly angled light mounted on the handlebars?
I suppose all motorists are poor drivers & every cyclist jumps red lights too?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Handlebars for me. Nowhere to fix another light to...... :whistle:
What you ain't got a head. :wahhey::wahhey::wahhey:

Crankarm

Guru
So a well positioned helmet light with the beam pointed down is worse than a badly angled light mounted on the handlebars?
I suppose all motorists are poor drivers & every cyclist jumps red lights too?

But they are often NOT pointed down are they? Do you ride looking at the ground right in front of you the whole time? I didn't think so. Cyclists who use them are a firkin menace - selfish inconsiderate gits.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I don't use a light on my helmet, and have never had a problem with any one else that uses them.
There seem to be a bit of hostility on here over a silly light, It is obviously that time of year again, :whistle:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
But they are often NOT pointed down are they? Do you ride looking at the ground right in front of you the whole time? I didn't think so. Cyclists who use them are a firkin menace - selfish inconsiderate gits.

I actually have my helmet light pointing down whilst my head is facing forward, & glance down regularly, but i'm a firkin menace & a selfish inconsiderate git??

A person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions is a Bigot :thumbsup:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
70 lumen helmet light
3000 lumen bar lights

I wonder which causes more dazzle =]

It's not so much the lumens as where they're pointing. A bright see by light fixed on the bars, properly aligned and with a cut off beam isn't a problem. A bright see by light swinging about on someone's head is.

GC

If a rider has a small light on their helmet (which isn't too bright so as to blind other other road users) plus their main light on the handlebars, then that's likely to be the most effective way of being visible.

I only use handlebar lights but definitely notice riders coming the other way better if they've got both lights. It's the fact there's this additional white light higher up which makes them stand out

Top Bottom