Front light on handlebars or helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's not so much the lumens as where they're pointing. A bright see by light fixed on the bars, properly aligned and with a cut off beam isn't a problem. A bright see by light swinging about on someone's head is.

GC
Using the same theory in reverse, a bright light on someone's helmet aligned properly isn't a problem, however if someone has a bright light on their bars constantly moving around pointing too high????

it's about people considering others whatever lights they use :thumbsup:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I use both. Helmet light is visible over other cars and hedges the way the bar level one isn't. I use a lower power light as it's to be seen by for me not to see by, it's also good for making as sure as possible that a car in a side street sees me and gives me time and space

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
A driver's eye line is just over 3 ft above the road. When pulling out, they look level with their eye line. That is where they expect to see car head lights. They don't expect to see the light 2 ft above that. Any higher and the brain will think that the object is further away.

Crankarm

Guru
I actually have my helmet light pointing down whilst my head is facing forward, & glance down regularly, but i'm a firkin menace & a selfish inconsiderate git??

A person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions is a Bigot :thumbsup:

And a person who continues to do something when they are repeatedly told of the problems their actions cause is just plain ignorant as well as being a selfish ******!

The best advantage they provide is the ability to direct light to where you are looking not where your handlebars are facing. So if your eye catches a movement to the side of the road, in the periphery of your handlebar beam, you can immediately swing your helmet beam over to check it out and to determine whether it needs evasive action. Also essential for twists and turns where you can direct the helmet beam further around the corner in advance of your handlebar beam to give you extra warning of what's around the corner. And also of course if you think a driver is about to pull out from the left in front of you directing the beam in their direction helps to ensure they see you.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Helmet lights should only ever be in addition to handlebar lights, and need to be angled downwards not into other peoples eyes if they are anything other than to be seen lights. If you don't have one on the bars and you are looking around the light can disappear from view when you are looking around ok only momentarily.

And if those with helmet lights on cycle paths could look into the bushes when they pass other cyclists rather than expecting the other cyclist to do that it would be nice, as you are usually passing each other much closer than on the road.

Sara_H

Guru
I had to get off the bike and push due to the wind yesterday, passed comment with another rider in the same position on the cycle path and he nearly burnt my retinas out with his helmet light!

Bodhbh

Guru
1 Ay-Up on the bars, a second rear facing Ay-Up fitted with red Saxon Caps on the helmet. I wouldn't put a front facing light up top for the same reasons that has been said above. If your bars are lit up enough why would you need more.

They make great rear lights with those Saxon caps don't they? Probably a bit too bright, but then you can point em at the floor.

I just wish they'd make a Saxon cap with dipper optics for the front. I use Ay-ups as well and you have to angle them down a tad or they blind. It'd be so simple just to have a cap with the appropriate optics for road use.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Using the same theory in reverse, a bright light on someone's helmet aligned properly isn't a problem, however if someone has a bright light on their bars constantly moving around pointing too high????

it's about people considering others whatever lights they use :thumbsup:

I have never seen a wobbling light on handlebars, it must be an extremely rare occurrence. However, I see a great many helmet lights that are far too bright and I don't care how those riders want to justify using them, the fact is that the head movements which are necessary for negotiating an urban commute mean they are causing problems for other road users; it's just selfish.

GC

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
They make great rear lights with those Saxon caps don't they? Probably a bit too bright, but then you can point em at the floor.

I just wish they'd make a Saxon cap with dipper optics for the front. I use Ay-ups as well and you have to angle them down a tad or they blind. It'd be so simple just to have a cap with the appropriate optics for road use.
They used to have white/clear and also a blue Saxon cap available.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Road bike just the bar mounted light. On unlit trails on the mtb a helmet light as well as the bar light.

All that said I have never had an issue with any one else using a helmet light on the road. I suppose if I shouted nobber and they looked directly at me I might be slightly inconvenienced but not enough to reminstrate about it. :whistle:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Both - handlebar light on flash to be seen by, helmet light to see by - but all my night rides are on unlit country lanes and the helmet light is useful to be able to adjust where I am looking. It is angled so that it points to the road maybe 10 ft in front of me with my head in normal riding position - so to look further ahead/dazzle oncoming drivers/riders I need to look up more than normal. I also ensure it is not directed at oncoming cars/bikes.

If that makes me look like a nobber, so be it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A driver's eye line is just over 3 ft above the road. When pulling out, they look level with their eye line. That is where they expect to see car head lights. They don't expect to see the light 2 ft above that. Any higher and the brain will think that the object is further away.

A: 3 feet?? Head would be about the height of your hips when stood up???? Not unless they're in a lotus.
B: how does this logic work when you're behind another car with all that metal above bar height but not reaching head height. Or the 5 odd foot tall hedges on my countryside bits
C: why are vehicles with high level brake lights so prevalent

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
And a person who continues to do something when they are repeatedly told of the problems their actions cause is just plain ignorant as well as being a selfish ******!

Or the innocent victim of the intolerant or hard of thinking who can't envisage an existence in which there may be an appropriate opinion different to their own entrenched world view maybe.

Top Bottom