Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I recently put a punt in on a Kickstarter for Ding lights based in Australia. - Was only about £42 for the light as an early backer.

They had a commuting light, with cut off, but also a downward light which gave a pool of light under the bike. The light has now been modified a bit more but should ship in October. It's not mad bright (400 lumen) but has loads of side visibility. The new design has optics that can be seen from the side and the downward light !!

http://www.dinglights.com/
They look rubbish, won't be lighting up the F'loop with that :tongue:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I know it doesn`t but not many lights do apart from those ones listed further up of which they are made probably for the Euro market.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know it doesn`t but not many lights do apart from those ones listed further up of which they are made probably for the Euro market.
I know it's not as easy, but as I complain about motorists with rubbish/illegal lights, surely I shouldn't agree that an illegal bike light is "a good buy" when asked?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Im not bothered whether my lights are legal or not, other things are more important such as working when it rains, not getting accidently switched on in my bag, ease of mounting on the handlebar and getting spare mounts so it can be used on more than one bike. I also like to see the light in use to see if it blinds people or is only visible from directly behind (both not good) or if it has good side spread. It also needs to fit in my hand neatly when carrying it or slipping it into a pocket.

I think the next light will be the Cateye Volt, as I liked it when I saw it as a driver and when passing as a cyclist.

oldstrath

Über Member
Illegal over here or in Germany?

That's the problem isn't it - there are lots of motorists, and not a few cyclists, who would dearly love the same restrictive standards to apply here as in Germany (I think they miss the fact that one or two other things may be different as well, but hey ho). So far as I can tell, 'illegal' here, actually should be read as 'not meeting the requirements for a sole light'. Properly, one should have BS conformant lights, possibly plus others. This is essentially impossible, and perhaps lights corresponding to the German standard meet this requirement I don't think this has ever been confirmed by appropriate bodies). Nothing to stop people also using other, possibly more effective, lights as well.

Surely, the STVZO compliant front lights at least do have merits, and in this country at least, they have to stand on those merits, not on some imaginary illegality of the alternatives.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
perhaps lights corresponding to the German standard meet this requirement I don't think this has ever been confirmed by appropriate bodies
There was an amendment to the lighting regulations in the 1990s to allow lights that met other European standards that are at least as tough as British ones. Surely no can reasonably argue that StVZO is laxer?

Surely, the STVZO compliant front lights at least do have merits, and in this country at least, they have to stand on those merits, not on some imaginary illegality of the alternatives.
"imaginary"? It is and has long been illegal to use (as a bike light) things like O-beam torches that dazzle other road users. Road Vehicles Lighting Regulation 27.

Im not bothered whether my lights are legal or not
Why should one complain about motorists ignoring the law (on using mobile phones while driving, for example) and then ignore the lighting law?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why should one complain about motorists ignoring the law (on using mobile phones while driving, for example) and then ignore the lighting law?
I'd agree it's two faced of me, on the other hand a number of car drivers seem to be braking the law too. Now I'm braking it not because I can't be bothered to fix my light or because I think it's cool to have a strange coloured light, I want a light that works for me and the manufacturers of the lights don't seem to be that keen on getting them tested to meet the regulations. I'm following the intent of the law in that I want to have working lights. I use bike lights on my bike not a torch strapped on so should they be allowed to sell lights that don't meet the regs?

Actually I think the lighting regulations need to be looked at. There are some lights that are too powerful, and the law is miles behind where the technology is. I think the police should look at those without lights first (cars and bikes), then if they get that sorted they could waste their time checking to see if you had a regulation light.

Also me with a non reg light is far less of a traffic hazard then cars without and drivers on their mobiles.

oldstrath

Über Member
There was an amendment to the lighting regulations in the 1990s to allow lights that met other European standards that are at least as tough as British ones. Surely no can reasonably argue that StVZO is laxer?

Actually it is - it allows more above-axis light than the BS. It may well be sensible to do so, indeed allowing more still may be sensible, but nevertheless it is laxer

"imaginary"? It is and has long been illegal to use (as a bike light) things like O-beam torches that dazzle other road users. Road Vehicles Lighting Regulation 27.

it is illegal to use them in such a way as to dazzle other road users - that's not actually the same as being illegal to use them. It is, as you know, entirely possible to use a k-marked light badly, and thereby dazzle others - maybe it's harder to use other torches without dazzling, maybe not, but the illegality is in the use, not the tool.

You'd have a hard time convincing many people that a marginally non-compliant light was as dangerous as mobile phone usage. Regardless, if there actually were a law banning the use of any non-compliant lights I agree you'd have a point. I'll also agree that in some circumstances (more than I thought originally) k-marked lights work well, but until there is such a law (accompanied for preference by many other changes to the conditions) there are situations where other lights work better.

Top Bottom