Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't have a front light for my hybrid (I've just broken my rack light too but I have found another online that's similar!. I don't know much about lights!
It's used on roads occasionally, but mainly shared paths. Most have lighting but there are sections which are quite dark.
What sort of light do I need?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Cateye volt 300 is great for what you describe, on full beam just good enough as a to see by light in proper dark 12-15mph, usb charged & long battery life.

They do higher power volt versions too if you are likely to need it for much faster or gnarlier dark riding

Another very bright, very good, economic option is the Smart 700.

Otherwise a magicshine clone or dealextreme torch/light set up?

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Cateye volt 300 is great for what you describe, on full beam just good enough as a to see by light in proper dark 12-15mph, usb charged & long battery life.

They do higher power volt versions too if you are likely to need it for much faster or gnarlier dark riding

Thanks.
I want something easy to use, the first one you mention sounds ideal.
I've no idea what the lumens/volts/leprechauns all mean! :laugh:

I'd be ever -so slightly wary of the magicshine clone, mine was great for a couple of winters but packed up soon after. Maybe i was just unlucky.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'd be ever -so slightly wary of the magicshine clone, mine was great for a couple of winters but packed up soon after. Maybe i was just unlucky.

Yes, I had one that lasted about the same but for the price paid (£20 all in) & huge light power it produced for a couple of winters daily use & every other day charging, I still think I got good VFM out of it.

OTT for the type of riding @ScotiaLass talks about tho.

Yes, I had one that lasted about the same but for the price paid (£20 all in) & huge light power it produced for a couple of winters daily use & every other day charging, I still think I got good VFM out of it.

OTT for the type of riding @ScotiaLass talks about tho.
I think i paid nearer 30 quid and would have liked a little longer out of it, but yes the way it lit up the canal towpath on the commute was superb.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anything with a K marking from Germany and rated at least 30 lux on their scale. Lidl often had them in their special offers but maybe you can't wait.

Cateye and so on will probably work OK but may well dazzle oncoming traffic and doesn't meet the regulations completely.

Klassikbike

Agree on the Cateye volt (I use the 700 with square cut beam to not deisturb oncomming traffic) but the 300 (Round beam) should be enough for the riding you describe, unless you are night blind like I am then some more lumens can be helpfull but these usually come at a higher cost.

Main benefits I see of the Volt lights:

The holding mount attaches the light very tight and its super easy to remove the lights (Can be used as a torchlight or camping light too).
Extra spare USB batteries can be bought and carried with you, very simple to change.
Great deals to have at the moment on the volt 300 (Some offers with rear light combos).
Very durable, I left the bike in tropical rainstorms and snowstorms.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I occasionally saw a rider with the Cateye Volt last winter and I was impressed, and with the rear, I was thinking of getting them myself to add to my collection. They looked neat (smaller than my Hope light) and good visibility from a distance even when not directly behind or in front without being dazzling.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
All good suggestions, thanks.
I have had a clear out and found 2 old front lights, one is a Cateye. I'll use this for now (incase I get caught out!) and buy another at my leisure, but before it gets darker in the evenings :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Good point on the volt batteries too. They are a single powrr interchangeable unit so if you did buy a 300/50 front/rear set then you'll always have a spare that is draining far slower on the back. You just need to be sure to have another rear light if you do switch.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You just need to be sure to have another rear light if you do switch.
I carry a small (unapproved!) button-cell powered back light for this reason (Topeak Redlite2 I think), figuring that those button cells last years if not used. I had to masking-tape a plastic cap over the on/off button to stop it turning on in the bag, but it allows me to steal the back light batteries for a front light if needed and still have a back light.

Top Bottom