Front Lights to 'see' with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

I used my new Hope Vision 2 this morning, for the first time properly (i.e. I left home before dawn).

Excellent. 4 settings from low to high and very very bright on high and an excellent spread of light.

For £165 I'm very happy and I'd recommend it.

bc

RSV_Ecosse

I'm still using my two Tesco Cree LED torches, one on each BLT Space Shuttle mount in conjunction with with two Edin Bike Co-op Revolution LED lights underneath on the BLT's.

The Revo LED's point slightly downwards and light up the road immediately ahead of me and the Cree's are angled to give me a clear view of the road further ahead.

Gives out a simply amazing amount/spread of light used in this configuration, so much so that it is easy to see car drivers actually think you are either a motorbike or scooter when they first clock you coming towards them, you can tell by the way they react. Likewise for when you are approaching/entering a roundabout. You see car drivers who would normally nip out in front of you in an unsafe manner, actually slowing down and stopping before entering the roundabout then realising you are cycling!!. I have to add that ( before anyone makes the comment!! ) the lights are set so they do not dazzle oncoming traffic.

I have been tempted this year to treat my self to a £150+ set of bespoke bike lights but I really can't fault my current setup so will stick with it for now. It was very inexpensive to put together, which was a bonus. :headshake:

Had my new B&M ixon IQ delivered this morning and just fitted it and had a 5 minute ride out.
I like it a lot. Up to now I've been using a Fenix P2D and I bought a Tesco 2xAA LED that goes on my sons bike; the IQ doesn't seem any brighter than either but the light spread is IMO much better for road riding. I can't help but think a larger spread of light will be more visible to motorists, either oncoming or pulling out from side streets than a more focused one unless of course you can manage to shine it in their eyes :smile:

knonist

I have just bought a pair of Fenix LD20 (both from the same batch).
I noticed the beam they throw appears to be different.
One is noticeablely "whitter / brighter" than the other one, and I have tried swaping the batteries but no improvement.

Anyone got any idea before I write to fenix

MichaelM

Guru
knonist said:
One is noticeablely "whitter / brighter" than the other one, and I have tried swaping the batteries but no improvement.

Have you used them "live" ?

I've got an L2D, and an LD20. The 20 has a smaller whiter spot than the 2. With one on the head and one on the bars I can't say that I really notice when out riding.

knonist said:

This is a common thing, which can also affect the Tesco lights. They're less strict about the quality control for the LEDs that they source. When I was buying my Tesco ones, I ended up going through a whole box testing the lights in store, in order to get the 2 best ones.

However, try contacting Fenix to get a replacement (or the shop you bought it from).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
stephec said:
Would either of these be up to a bit of off roading at 20mph do you reckon?

I'd have loved to have seen the drunken ninja incident! :biggrin::laugh:;):laugh::ohmy::laugh::ohmy::laugh::sad::laugh:
Sorry Stephec, I missed this question somehow.

I don't think mine's up to that, although it's bright enough for my (mostly well lit) commute.

knonist

MichaelM said:
Have you used them "live" ?

I've got an L2D, and an LD20. The 20 has a smaller whiter spot than the 2. With one on the head and one on the bars I can't say that I really notice when out riding.

Yes, as I'm at work now, I can not produce any photo. I will try to take some pictures at home

davidg

bumping this thread as quite good.

Can I ask for a recommendation?

I live/commute in london so not really worried about lighting the world up til now and do my road bike cycling in daylight normally. I am looking to do a couple of eve ride a week in Richmond park so want to get a light that will be okay for that

any recommendations for this? The chap in the bike shop reconned two cateye uno would be okay but reading through this I doubt it!

thanks

edit. re budget, I am just looking to spend the least to do the job....if that means £150 I would do it but would rather pay less.

Not interested in torch solutions!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For lights to see with on a budget how about two Smart bspoke 1W lights (£18 each on Wiggle).

However for under £100 you can't go wrong with the Hope Vision 1. Approx £80 for the Hope (CRC, Wiggle or Evans Cycles), £5 for the batteries (7dayshop own brand 2900mAh) and £10 for the charger (Lidl from Monday).

Top Bottom