Front Lights to 'see' with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

fossyant said:
So where is the new airport...............??????

Went out tonight for the first time with the Tesla 4. Started off at 6.30 so was still 'daylight' and then switched on as the ride progressed. Lowest setting was sufficient almost all the way although switched to full for a few dips and 'blind' corners. On dark country lanes the lowest setting was very good. The highest setting was amazing! :smile:

Definitely a good buy :ohmy: Only slight 'gripe' is that no choice of standard or oversize O-ring as the light comes with standard 'bar O-ring...it was okay tonight but I'll need to buy oversize adaptor (12 quid or so) to make sure it fits all my bikes. Bit of a bugger that no choice re size of o-ring.

Tony B

Tony B said:
Regarding Knog lights a few clones have popped up on DX

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26809

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26812

I have ordered some to see what they are like, never can have to many lights in winter.

They have arrived and for how much they cost are great, knog rip-off and very useful to be seen, I'm becoming like a christmas tree now, next purchase another P7, am I getting a compulsion here for buying more lights?, I only had 6 rears lasts night and up front 5 including my P7. :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tony B said:
They have arrived and for how much they cost are great, knog rip-off and very useful to be seen, I'm becoming like a christmas tree now
One of the things I dislike about this time of year is the necessity to get yourself up like a radioactive pound shop to get any consideration from motorists.

stephec

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
Bought one of these on the off chance (only $11, after all).

It arrived last weekend, and I've been riding with it for a week.

I use the beam on flood (spot is way too focussed). It's good, althugh it does have a dark halo around the main spot of light on this setting. The mount is solid, although it doesn't allow the torch to be released quickly (one screw to undo, then slide torch forward). Not felt the need for "high" setting yet, and the flash seems a bit fast. Excellent build quality and "feel" though, far better than the cheap torches I got last year. Torch has run for most morning commutes (about 3-4 hours total?) on one charge.

Tony B said:
Well it finally arrived http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623, used it last night on my commute home, I have never ridden with a light like it, its like having a car headlight showing the way, all I can say its brilliant, even managed to make a drunken ninja fall off his bike as he tried to cut across me, he saw it, stopped, went down it a drunken heap swearing away.

must get another one ;)

Would either of these be up to a bit of off roading at 20mph do you reckon?

I'd have loved to have seen the drunken ninja incident! ;):laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tony B

stephec said:
Would either of these be up to a bit of off roading at 20mph do you reckon?

I'd have loved to have seen the drunken ninja incident! ;):laugh:;):laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The P7 is great for off road did a 5 mile thames towpath ride the other night just to see how good they where, get one you will not be disappointed.

Looks to me having read what must be every post there is on lighting that there are 2 different psyches out there:
1. Those that want to have the biggest light show this side of an atomic flash, and "if I blind a car coming towards me it serves them right, that'll learn 'em"
2. Those who want a hassle free commute / training ride with a bright enough light that doesn't dazzle drivers but makes them dip and preferably lasts at least 3 hrs.

I know that some use the power for off-road and I understand that but if it dazzles on road and I include other cyclists, it's not clever. Where I live in the countryside but close to a city the eejits bring there girlfriends out on the quiet roads and give it some uncontrolled welly in order to impress. I don't want to be blinding one of these f***wits.
My choice therefore has probably come down to either Hope vision 1; B&M Ixon IQ; ayup roadie kit [only if I can order 2 to save duty]
Can anyone give me a real life comparison between the first 2?

doyler78

Well I believe I have a set of these waiting for me when I get home:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Luu_LED_Lighting.html

Should be good.

I have a set of ayups and they are a fantastic light and great build quality and look great however when it came to making the decision I just felt that they are no longer as competitive as they were and that there were other options out there.

Getting the LUU was a big risk as they are only a very new company and there is very little known about their build quality, etc however I took a risk with AYUP as I was in at the beginning. I am a fan of all things Planet X and it is owned by the same people I am more than happy to trust them with my money. I just hope this works out fine for me too.

I liked the fact that I could buy different filters that way I can have whatever beam I like. The whole package will be a bit bulkier than the ayups however I hope that it will not be that great. I guess I will know soon enough.

I will get a beam shot up if I get time this evening (as long as they have managed to pack the charger with it as I believe on-one have made a boob on some of orders that went out by not including it)

Noodley

totallyfixed said:
My choice therefore has probably come down to either Hope vision 1; B&M Ixon IQ.....

Give me a few days and I can. I'm going out with my mate next week and I'll take the Hope 1 to compare with his B&M. Wish I'd taken it last night then I could have reported back. The Tesla 4 on lowest setting was a match for B&M Ixon on high but with softer and wider beam pattern to the B&M which is very 'rectangular'. The Hope 1 is also a more 'rounded' beam pattern than the B&M. I prefer a round beam pattern over sharp beam pattern.

I can see the point of high beam on the Tesla for off-road for a few hours, but for me the long life of lower settings is more important. With the capacity for high beam when needed (blind corners, dips in road, steep descents when it is safe to do so i.e. when nobody else is using the road who could get dazzled)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Origamist said:
The flash mode is most likely a tactical strobe. Its purpose is to disorientate attackers! I would not use it on the road. That said, a lot of the strobe functions on DX torches are not set to the right frequency - so they are not that effective...

Cool..............need that on the commute........:biggrin:

fossyant

The good point with the Hope 1's - you have 4 power levels, and a flash. Low to Medium is all you need for roads. High to Blinding for off road....at the upper levels they hurt folk's eyes at a distance..... Flash is very effective, especially if you have two that 'alternate'.

Battery life, can't say, but they have been used all week for about 10 hours at various power levels, that's with 2100 hybrid batteries.

Davidc

Guru
I've got a Cyo - on batteries until I get a dynamo sorted. I can hardly believe it's only a 3w light.

It's used alongside a Cateye EL530, which is a fairly bright light. The EL530's practically invisible when the Cyo's on.

The Tesco torch just got retired.

fossyant

The main reason I went for two Hope 1's was the batteries - they take AA's, so if/when they die, get new re-chargeables.

Use Hybrids then you are quids up.... been using hybrid AA's in the camera for over a year..fantastic........hold charge which is important...are every bit as good as high capacity normal AA's....

Means no expensive battery 'unit' replacements..............

Origamist

Legendary Member
totallyfixed said:
My choice therefore has probably come down to either Hope vision 1; B&M Ixon IQ; ayup roadie kit [only if I can order 2 to save duty]
Can anyone give me a real life comparison between the first 2?

Exposure have just brought out the Strada - it is a road specific light. The beam can be dipped - 480 lumens IIRC.

Top Bottom