Front Lights to 'see' with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
sooperb said:
Any opinion on the Knog lights? Are they road legal? Do they give a decent beam/visibility?

I've just got a Knog Toad for the front - 5 'iccle' LED's - I only intend having this on flashing when using my 2 x HOPE 1's - the mounting of the Toad is good, dead easy.

BUT, it's a safety/backup light, and a good one mind.

siadwell

Guru
There's a lengthy thread on bikeradar (http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12641036&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) about lights for seeing (it has an off-road theme) which is very "illuminating".

One of the links posted is to http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/ which has the best set of beam comparison photos I've come across.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Noodley said:
The Lupine Tesla 4 is the other 'short listed' light and it does have 'soft' battery casing.

The Lupine soft battery cases and light mountings are rattle-free, but there's a definite knack to fixing the head unit without crushing your fingers. It helps if you have a reasonably round and tape-free bit of handlebar to mount it on, as otherwise the light direction can be a bit skewiff. This also helps when you need to 'dip' your lights for oncoming vehicles, as you can just give the head-unit a bit of a nudge to point it down slightly. Sounds crude, but is suprisingly effective.

Lupine build quality is stunning but some Bettys suffered from condensation on the lens under certain circumstances, but I've only ever had the problem once. Don't know if this is a problem with the Teslas.

beancounter

andrew-the-tortoise said:
Splashed out a bit the other week and got myself a Hope Vision 4 LED rechargeable LI-ON front light.

Tidy bit of kit, well built with decent mounts. Max output is 960 Lumens [1.5 - 2 hours burn time] but would probably only use this for commuting in reduced visibility situations.

Lowest setting is ample for normal journeys, one charge lasts all week easily - a couple on 'flash' mode.

'DESIGNED, BUILT & TESTED IN BARNOLDSWICK, ENGLAND' written on the box, but I would suspect the internal electronic sub assemblies are far-eastern.

I've just ordered a Vision 2 - the 4 looked like overkill for my needs.

Looking forward to trying it out.

bc

I like the look of the Ixon, but a quick question - I'm curious about the beam. Can't tell much from the website photos, is it flat at the top or angled as per car headlights and if so is it angled correctly for riding on the left in the UK?
Not as though I'd worry about it, just want a more road orientated light and keep my Fenix/lockblock combo as supplementary/ backup.

Noodley

I have just ordered a Lupine Tesla 4. I reckon that coupled with the Hope 1 Headlamp I should have a good set-up :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Noodley said:
I have just ordered a Lupine Tesla 4. I reckon that coupled with the Hope 1 Headlamp I should have a good set-up :laugh:

So where is the new airport...............??????

Foobar... I hope the Lupy doesn't do road...... ? :blush:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Piemaster said:
I like the look of the Ixon, but a quick question - I'm curious about the beam. Can't tell much from the website photos, is it flat at the top or angled as per car headlights and if so is it angled correctly for riding on the left in the UK?
It's flat at the top, giving a beam shape that's rectangular if you aim it at a wall.
Beam shots for the Cyo Sport and Edelux, which use the same reflector, here

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
billflat12 said:
Bought one of these on the off chance (only $11, after all).

It arrived last weekend, and I've been riding with it for a week.

I use the beam on flood (spot is way too focussed). It's good, althugh it does have a dark halo around the main spot of light on this setting. The mount is solid, although it doesn't allow the torch to be released quickly (one screw to undo, then slide torch forward). Not felt the need for "high" setting yet, and the flash seems a bit fast. Excellent build quality and "feel" though, far better than the cheap torches I got last year. Torch has run for most morning commutes (about 3-4 hours total?) on one charge.

Origamist

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
Bought one of these on the off chance (only $11, after all).

It arrived last weekend, and I've been riding with it for a week.

I use the beam on flood (spot is way too focussed). It's good, althugh it does have a dark halo around the main spot of light on this setting. The mount is solid, although it doesn't allow the torch to be released quickly (one screw to undo, then slide torch forward). Not felt the need for "high" setting yet, and the flash seems a bit fast. Excellent build quality and "feel" though, far better than the cheap torches I got last year. Torch has run for most morning commutes (about 3-4 hours total?) on one charge.

The flash mode is most likely a tactical strobe. Its purpose is to disorientate attackers! I would not use it on the road. That said, a lot of the strobe functions on DX torches are not set to the right frequency - so they are not that effective...

Top Bottom