Front Lights to 'see' with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
fossyant said:
The main reason I went for two Hope 1's was the batteries - they take AA's, so if/when they die, get new re-chargeables.

Use Hybrids then you are quids up.... been using hybrid AA's in the camera for over a year..fantastic........hold charge which is important...are every bit as good as high capacity normal AA's....

Means no expensive battery 'unit' replacements..............
In terms of illumination what I have now is good enough, brighter would be nice but it's not a real problem thus wasted money for the Hope 1 which gives the same problems as my current setup.

lazyfatgit

Just been for a quick spin with ay-ups mounted on bars, and they're without doubt the brightest lights i've owned.

Noodley

totallyfixed said:
Look forward to your report Noodley, got to spend the non - existant cash soon. I always think a good test of lights isn't when you are riding in pitch black on a dry country road, it's when it's wet and car lights are behind you.

I'll see if I can choose a wet night ;)

Rather this was done on a normal night, just want to see a clear comparison. I've seen a fair few comparison beamshot sites but none that do them all in the same place. I realise this wouldn't be in the best interest for some manufacturers but if enough cyclists got together with examples of all the popular lights with a good photographer, I reckon it could well be the most popular bike site yet.

Noodley

totallyfixed said:
Rather this was done on a normal night, just want to see a clear comparison. I've seen a fair few comparison beamshot sites but none that do them all in the same place. I realise this wouldn't be in the best interest for some manufacturers but if enough cyclists got together with examples of all the popular lights with a good photographer, I reckon it could well be the most popular bike site yet.

this was done over on yacf, and I believe plans are afoot to repeat the exercise this year with the latest lights. :rolleyes: Not ALL lights featured but there was a sizable entry of various lights.

FOAD

I currently have a Cateye 320 (don't laugh) and have ridden my 12 mile commute in pitch darkness through the sticks with it at 19mph average and found it ok (but I know the road and where the potholes are).

My LBS leant me a Lupine Wilma with 920 lumens and a L&M Seca with 700 lumens two weeks ago to try out.

Damn they are bright, and damn they are expensive! Obviously they pale my Cateye into insignificance.

However, I have to query how much of that light for road cycling is pointless. I am only interested in being seen from the front, being able to see where the road goes and most importantly what the road surface is like for a short distance infront of me.

I am not interested in seeing the trees that line the road for 300 yards or the immediate 30 metres infront of me looking like daylight (would be cool for £50 but not £400).

By way of comparison I rode home the other night in the dark using a Surefire Scorpion torch strapped to my bars (this is an oldschool tactical torch knocking out 78 lumens).

Yep it was on "spot" but the three things I needed to accomplish were easily done.

I am now looking at either a P7 based torch/light or more than likely a Hope Vision 1, which is only worth the extra £30 due to the fact that the build quality and UK service from Hope is supposedly top notch.

Surely lights for £200 plus and especially £400 plus like I have been testing are total overkill unless you are riding of road? I would however never say "you have wasted your money, you should have got a P7" like so many do on forums, especailly Bike Radar. If you have the money then why the hell not spend £400 plus on a light, that's up to you.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
totallyfixed said:

Take a look at this site, they do a review with beam shots and battery life charts every year...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
FOAD said:
I currently have a Cateye 320 (don't laugh) and have ridden my 12 mile commute in pitch darkness through the sticks with it at 19mph average and found it ok (but I know the road and where the potholes are).

My LBS leant me a Lupine Wilma with 920 lumens and a L&M Seca with 700 lumens two weeks ago to try out.

Damn they are bright, and damn they are expensive! Obviously they pale my Cateye into insignificance.

However, I have to query how much of that light for road cycling is pointless. I am only interested in being seen from the front, being able to see where the road goes and most importantly what the road surface is like for a short distance infront of me....

A friend of mine was cycling home along a dark rural road last winter, a car passed fairly close to him, then he saw it swing out wide further down the road. He was wondering why the car had swung out so wide until he hit the tree laying in the road. Having bright lights is a good idea if you are riding on unlit rural roads...

FOAD

HJ said:
A friend of mine was cycling home along a dark rural road last winter, a car passed fairly close to him, then he saw it swing out wide further down the road. He was wondering why the car had swung out so wide until he hit the tree laying in the road. Having bright lights is a good idea if you are riding on unlit rural roads...

So i wouldn't have seen the tree with my poxy Cateye if I had my eyes open? I doubt it!

earth

I've had numerous cateye's and don't use them now. The EL530 is only bright for 10 hours then it goes to dim mode for a further 40. You will find it disappointing quickly. The mounting brackets are naff as well. In cold weather expect the plastic to turn brittle and the light to shake loose over bumps. Then it's bye bye light as a car runs over it.

Exposure look like they have some new models out this year. There's the 'Spark' that costs about £70 and is 220 lumens. Almost that of the joystick but about half the price.

If people are suggesting torches from Tesco then what about the ones that you shake to recharge. They cost about £5 each and I was really surprised at how bright they are. No batteries, instead there's a magnet and a coil inside. Mine has never even dimmed. As you ride over bumps it will charge a bit.

MancRider78

and the revolution do a front and rear set for around £25... bargin if you need both quality lights and are on a budget....have seen both that and a catseye of similar price for front light only and Revolution slams it. To compare you need to be spending over double. IMHO

just waiting for payday to get myself the double set.

Thanks Noodley, I'd actually already seen that one, just that it didn't show the Ixon IQ. Hope you don't suffer too long it's purgatory being off the bike. Went to the Bike Show at Earls Court today and checked out the Hope Vision 1 up close and personal, got all my questions answered and we are getting one each [better half]. Found a site where they are selling for £62.99! Now that's a bargain for 240 lumens of reliability. I'll spill the beans tomorrow night on where this deal is after we have ordered them in case there is a sudden rush!

Top Bottom