Front Lights to 'see' with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Noodley said:

Arrived today, and went for a short ride round the block. Quite impressed with it, lowest setting would be fine for urban riding and there is also flashing mode (quite a bit slower to the flashing modes I am used to) and 3 other settings. The highest setting is very good, the level below almost as good and would not affect speed on the move as provides just as good forward light if slightly less outward beam. The availability of headband, handlebar or helmet mount is an advantage for me as I can mix with other lighting or use on it's own dependent on what length of ride I am doing. Interchange between the various mounting requires a few adaptations which might not suit everyone if you are looking for a quick change, but the changes are simple (I managed them!) and involve swapping a few components with the supplied allen key. The headband feels a bit strange and the battery pack tends to pull the band down to rub against my ears but that might just need a tweak. I usually wear a cap (or a thermal hat in winter) so that might help...The clamp for the handlebar seems to hold firm in position although I think I'll have to have a few more goes at working out how to tighten it so that it is sturdy but allows some movement if required. I am more used to velcro blocks and O-ring fittings.

The use of AA batteries suits me as I am used to carrying back up packs for longer rides and night rides rather than having to hope the battery pack lasts....

As I say it was a ride round the block, so I'll have to have a longer ride to give a fuller report, but first impressions are good. And at a good price from Ribble ;)

MichaelM

Guru
Noodley said:
Arrived today, and went for a short ride round the block. Quite impressed with it, lowest setting would be fine for urban riding and there is also flashing mode (quite a bit slower to the flashing modes I am used to) and 3 other settings. The highest setting is very good, the level below almost as good and would not affect speed on the move as provides just as good forward light if slightly less outward beam. The availability of headband, handlebar or helmet mount is an advantage for me as I can mix with other lighting or use on it's own dependent on what length of ride I am doing. Interchange between the various mounting requires a few adaptations which might not suit everyone if you are looking for a quick change, but the changes are simple (I managed them!) and involve swapping a few components with the supplied allen key. The headband feels a bit strange and the battery pack tends to pull the band down to rub against my ears but that might just need a tweak. I usually wear a cap (or a thermal hat in winter) so that might help...The clamp for the handlebar seems to hold firm in position although I think I'll have to have a few more goes at working out how to tighten it so that it is sturdy but allows some movement if required. I am more used to velcro blocks and O-ring fittings.

The use of AA batteries suits me as I am used to carrying back up packs for longer rides and night rides rather than having to hope the battery pack lasts....

As I say it was a ride round the block, so I'll have to have a longer ride to give a fuller report, but first impressions are good. And at a good price from Ribble :biggrin:

Shouldn't this be in the reviews section, I know you like the forum to be kept neat and tidy ;)

Noodley

MichaelM said:
Shouldn't this be in the reviews section, I know you like the forum to be kept neat and tidy ;)

The reviews section must be fairly pish if that incoherent gathering of blethers qualifies as a review! :biggrin:

billflat12

Veteran
BentMikey said:
Two cheaper torches are quite a decent compromise, but when you start spending £110 per torch, you're buying something less functional for almost the same money. There are loads of very good high quality bike lights out there that just work way better than torches do.

sorry BM. but just to bring into perspective, were talking similar technologies , maybe both produced in Asia ? both reasonable quality , Real Compromises are 1. value for money torch maybe poorly assembled , or 2.designer bike light maybe overpriced rip off , I know what my compromises are just by using Google.
ie.
DX competitor offer:
5-mode p7 900 lumen kit for under £30 delivered (claimed 2.5hrs hi +4hrs low ?)

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=9535

or

Exposure Maxx-D Front LED Light
960 Lumen MaXx,
3 hour burn time on MaXx,
Price:
curr_1.gif
GBP Sterling £285.99, Saving £39.00 (12%) on RRP (£324.99)
(
MaXx could be misleading here too?)
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/18533/Exposure_MaxxD_Front_LED_Light
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lower power options: Both reasonable quality

UltraFire WF-178 bike light (Same spec as fenix L2d q5), 6modes 1.5 hrs @180lum (but takes 3aaa or 1x18650 lion & incl bike mount) £13.65 delivered
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=9200

fenix L2D Q5 CE £43 (takes 2aa battries & no mount)
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l2d_q5.html

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bill, don't forget I've used better quality torches, being Fenix, for a year or so before I got the Exposure. I just might be in a good position to judge the relative merits of both, for me at least.

siadwell

Guru
cheadle hulme said:
Indeed. Of course as long as you have a BS or TUV approved light you should be fine. Any other lighting is regarded as supplementary and does not have to adhere to the regs.

I have a small BS Cateye plus the Fenix.

Other lights may be supplementary, but they would appear to still be subject to The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 Part III Para 27:

No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

Item No.| Type of lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon | Manner of use prohibited

11 | Any other lamp | Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

In other words, if your lights dazzle, you're breaking the law.

Of course, a lamp attached to the rider isn't attached to the vehicle and so not subject to these regs...

billflat12

Veteran
cheadle hulme said:
Bi-Xenons on cars dazzle everyone, I'm sure as long as you're sensible on a bike, you'll be fine. It's not in a cyclists interests to dazzle vehicle drivers!!

A catch 22 here , Down unlit country lanes oncoming speeding car headlights are a big hazard for walkers or cyclists , if i use a sensible light i find most drivers simply don.t notice me until i,m right in their headlights and we all know what happens next , My solution is to get a drivers attention in advance and use a more aggressive brighter light like my 5 function p7 £30 torch , it may well annoy some drivers but does get their attention, As a cyclist i,m very vulnerable and would prefer better controlled lighting when faced with oncoming traffic down narrow dark lanes. Short of looking like an alien totally covered in flashing lights & reflective clothing, does anyone know of a more suitable powerful dipping headlight with a strobe function costing less than your basic bike ?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm with Billflat, I think a powerful light is *exactly* what you need to intimidate drivers into doing what they should be doing according to the highway code. A big brute of a bike light causes those drivers to slow down and wait in a passing place on single track lane in a way that never happens with a Cateye EL530, for example.

If a driver ends up being dazzled, I really couldn't care less. Well, that's not quite true, I dim the MaxxD down to low for approaching cars. I also don't think a dazzled driver is going to go towards the light, they will brake and slow and go left away from us.

Splashed out a bit the other week and got myself a Hope Vision 4 LED rechargeable LI-ON front light.

Tidy bit of kit, well built with decent mounts. Max output is 960 Lumens [1.5 - 2 hours burn time] but would probably only use this for commuting in reduced visibility situations.

Lowest setting is ample for normal journeys, one charge lasts all week easily - a couple on 'flash' mode.

'DESIGNED, BUILT & TESTED IN BARNOLDSWICK, ENGLAND' written on the box, but I would suspect the internal electronic sub assemblies are far-eastern.

Noodley

andrew-the-tortoise said:
Splashed out a bit the other week and got myself a Hope Vision 4 LED rechargeable LI-ON front light.

I am looking at these as potentially my next 'big' purchase. I am impressed by the Hope 1 adventure, although one 'downside' is the battery casing which rattles as it is not a soft shell..

...the Hope 4 looks like similarly 'hard shell' from the pics I have seen. How does it rate on the 'rattle scale'?

The Lupine Tesla 4 is the other 'short listed' light and it does have 'soft' battery casing.

Noodley,

The battery pack is a hard shell with a sponge backing, straps to stem quite securely
[80mm stem minimum would be required].
My other bike has a short stem, so I keep the battery pack in a 'Topeak' top tube bag.

It comes with an extension cable, battery pack could be mounted under seat if desired.

There is also the helmet & head harness mounts which look ok, but have not tried yet, I guess would be quite heavy if you clip the battery on as well!

Top Bottom