Front mech rubbing - is this normal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanj

Hi - today was the first time I took out my newish tourer for the commute to work. The difference between this and my usual ride is that I have a double chain ring at the front and a triple on my other bike. On the triple on the middle ring I get no chain rub at all, whichever rear sprocket I am on. With the double I can adjust the high and low so that I just miss the chain on all inner and all outer but it will rub at the other extreme - i.e. big front and big rear and small front and small rear. My question is - is this normal? Does it differ with different makes? Or is it just case of adjustment?

Cheers

J

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep its normal, but don't use big front and big rear as the chain line is poor - i.e. you are bending it too much.

OP
OP
wanj

wanj

Thanks for that guys, guess I'll have to get used to changing the front mech more often!

J

Arch

Married to Night Train
How many gears have you got on the back? For most day to day cycling (and I appreciate, it's pretty flat round here), I use three gears, Even when I got to Northumberland, I mostly use the middle 5 of 7, all on the middle ring, and then drop down to the small ring when I have to (the large ring on my bikes is just there for the shineyness, it never gets used!:wacko:). With careful planning ahead in terms of cadence and so on, you still might not need to change the front rings much...

Of course, if it's very hilly, and you're a powerful rider, you may well use all the ones you've got, so I'll shut up..

OP
OP
wanj

wanj

Powerful rider? Only in my dreams...and the sad thing is I do dream about cycling. Ever since this late 30 something decided to start commuting by bike back in December last year I have developed this obsession with bikes...ok bikes I cannot afford! I'm working on convincing the missus that the money I am saving in petrol and car servicing will entitle me to a constant stream of new bike related goodies.

Its all Sora which means 8 at the rear. On my other bike I'm generally quite happy on the middle ring but have been playing lately using the big one at the front so I'll see how it goes.

Oh and thanks for the welcome...and bon....no u lost me there!

Arch

Married to Night Train
wanj said:
Oh and thanks for the welcome...and bon....no u lost me there!

Sooner or later, you'll come across our resident nitwit and 'funnyman' (we love him really, well, sort of...), bonj. I just thought as you sort of rhymed...:blush:

Arch said:
Oh, and welcome. You don't have a brother called bon do you? (in joke for other forummers;))

10/10 Arch :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll get the bug mate - buying bits and bobs. I got back to commuting, in August last year, and despite buying new wheels for both road bikes, new chains sprockets for all three, new clothes etc for riding, I still saved a fortune over my £300 per month fuel bill. I do explain to the wife if I need to spend £50 per month just keeping the commuting bike on the road, then I'm saving a fortune.....in theory.... ahem...just keep dropping little hints..... ohh got this for a bargain, half price.....

byegad

Legendary Member
Of course you will soon need another bike for dry weather commuting. Then a good Tourer and so it goes.
Ideal number of bikes=number owned + one.

Big T

Guru
Are you riding Shimano? If so, what groupset?

Chain rub is more prevalent on Shimano, due to the lack of ability to trim the front changer. You'll probably have a max of 4 clicks, whereas on Campag you have 10, making the front changer infinitely more adjustable to avoid chain rub.

Top Bottom