front rack for Surly LHT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Kosong

Nice, will check the C17 off. I've spent enough on my bike this month so far getting front rack and panniers sorted...but I'm very tempted to try and get a Brooks saddle before i head for a 3 week tour in Europe in summer. I dont know if thats a good idea though as i'll pretty much be breaking it in on tour, as i wont have any time off work for the month or so before the tour to do any cycling!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Nice, will check the C17 off. I've spent enough on my bike this month so far getting front rack and panniers sorted...but I'm very tempted to try and get a Brooks saddle before i head for a 3 week tour in Europe in summer. I dont know if thats a good idea though as i'll pretty much be breaking it in on tour, as i wont have any time off work for the month or so before the tour to do any cycling!

The great thing about touring is that you don’t have to train. Each day is a work out. And when you stop somewhere for an extra night because you like where you are, that’s when you recover. I would though, do a shakedown of your fully loaded rig, even if it’s only down the B2B path. Happy days.

RollingNoMad

I am using the Jandd Extreme front Rack on my 2008 Surly LHT 52cm 26in wheels
31723298_1684465721629948_3843529876292239360_n.jpg

Jandd Extreme front Rack
REXT_Measure.jpg

If I was going to make a 2nd Surly LHT 26in 52cm or Surly Disc Trucker 26in 52cm and I would go with the
Tubus Tara Lowrider and This pics is from google
TubusTaraOnLHTD.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
OP
OP
K

Kosong

The great thing about touring is that you don’t have to train. Each day is a work out. And when you stop somewhere for an extra night because you like where you are, that’s when you recover. I would though, do a shakedown of your fully loaded rig, even if it’s only down the B2B path. Happy days.

that's the plan - I'm hoping if the weather isn't too crappy to cycle to London (where i work) from Bristol (where i live) over 4 days in 3 weeks time - will be a good oppurtunity to get back into the touring rhythm, play with new kit, test that everything works, and get used to the handling with front panniers (even though i wont really need them for this trip, i'll load a few bits in them as a dry run). I've still got all of my camping and cooking gear from last few seasons that has worked brilliantly, so wont be updating any of that. It's more to check how the bike is doing after a long winter of not much use beyond errands and a few short commutes to my second job in Bristol, plus getting a routine down with the front panniers aswell as the rear. The main thing though is reminding myself i can cycle 50 miles a day - its been a while, and my last longish cycle was cycling to glastonbury festival last summer fully loaded in 30c heat after getting off a plane from malaysia 12 hours beforehand which was a slow slog but doable. Climbing the mendips while extremely jetlagged with a loaded tourer when you havent cycled any hills or decent distances in about 3 months was brutal!

And as you say, if i dont end up cycling to London I'll def load the bike up and do a run to bath and back, will prob loop round bath too to get some slightly less nice surface cycling done as well as a bit of hill and road over coombe down. It's great having such good cycle paths minutes from my house!

OP
OP
K

Kosong

It might work out, or it might not. Three weeks is a good long time to repent a bad decision. Better to tour with things you know will work for you.

Good thinking! I'm tempted now to dip into my savings account and just buy a Brookes saddle next week, it will give me 2 months before the tour to try it out and see if its worth the risk. My current seat, while comfy for shorter rides, caused me quite a lot of bum pain on rides over a few days...I'll either need to invest in some padded leggings (which for curvy and overweight women like me, don't come cheap!) or just invest in a Brookes and hope they are as good as everyone says ;) once again, recommendations always welcome :smile:

All this bike chat has made me keen to get out on the road, but I'm stuck in at work until tues morn looking out of the window wondering what could be if i had a day off...

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
that's the plan - I'm hoping if the weather isn't too crappy to cycle to London (where i work) from Bristol (where i live) over 4 days in 3 weeks time - will be a good oppurtunity to get back into the touring rhythm, play with new kit, test that everything works, and get used to the handling with front panniers (even though i wont really need them for this trip, i'll load a few bits in them as a dry run). I've still got all of my camping and cooking gear from last few seasons that has worked brilliantly, so wont be updating any of that. It's more to check how the bike is doing after a long winter of not much use beyond errands and a few short commutes to my second job in Bristol, plus getting a routine down with the front panniers aswell as the rear. The main thing though is reminding myself i can cycle 50 miles a day - its been a while, and my last longish cycle was cycling to glastonbury festival last summer fully loaded in 30c heat after getting off a plane from malaysia 12 hours beforehand which was a slow slog but doable. Climbing the mendips while extremely jetlagged with a loaded tourer when you havent cycled any hills or decent distances in about 3 months was brutal!

And as you say, if i dont end up cycling to London I'll def load the bike up and do a run to bath and back, will prob loop round bath too to get some slightly less nice surface cycling done as well as a bit of hill and road over coombe down. It's great having such good cycle paths minutes from my house!

Great plan. And if life gets on top of you, swing by Chez Heltor Chasca. I am a regular Warmshowers host so if you fancy doing a short circular along the NCN4 & 24, which you know well, you are more than welcome. Depending where you are in Bristol, it is about 40km along the NCN to here.

That reminds me: 3 x French cyclists arriving on Tuesday. Gulp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kosong

Great plan. And if life gets on top of you, swing by Chez Heltor Chasca. I am a regular Warmshowers host so if you fancy doing a short circular along the NCN4 & 24, which you know well, you are more than welcome. Depending where you are in Bristol, it is about 40km along the NCN to here.

That reminds me: 3 x French cyclists arriving on Tuesday. Gulp.

Oh thanks for the offer :smile: Have joined up to warmshowers recently, have stayed in a few before but just through meeting people on route/friends of friends, but never formally via the site. hoping i can return the favor and host some cyclists too one day :smile:

RollingNoMad

I like the look of that front Jandd rack. What is the weight of it?
Jandd Extreme front Rack: weight is Weight: 37 oz/1054.5 g
Length: 13.50 in/34 cm
Height: (Overall) 16.75 in/42.5 cm
Height: Pannier Mounting 12 in/30.5 cm
Width: 6 in/15.25 cm
WEIGHT CAPACITY 40 LBS
Made in the USA: San Diego, California
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREXT
$108.95 USD
can be shipped to England
Airmail Parcel Post (7-10 days) $51.50 USD

Rixen and Kaul make an extended bar bag mount for bars too odd for the std length. R&K mounts are used by many good bar bag manufacturers. Is Ortleib R&K compatible?

Crankarm

Guru
Rixen and Kaul make an extended bar bag mount for bars too odd for the std length. R&K mounts are used by many good bar bag manufacturers. Is Ortleib R&K compatible?

Yes. I have a R&K non locking mount for my Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Plus 7litres bar bag. I just couldn't get on with Ortlieb's own crappy mount using cables to secure it to the handle bar as the handle bar bag always used to slip down. Now it doesn't. This might be the only bad Ortlieb design I have come across. The rest of their products seem fine. Easily solved if you get a R&K proper mount.

Yisak K

View attachment 407360 I had a Surly Nice Rack on my Disc Trucker. I took it off and replaced it with a Tubus Tara which is MUCH lighter and looks better. The Nice rack is better on my cargo bike and looks the part. Sure you can strap more to it, but how heavy do you want your front end? You can strap small items to the top of the front panniers if you desperately need to. Surly’s racks aren’t on a par with Tubus in my opinion. They get hot spots which wear through the powder coat and the bare metal starts to rust. Constant maintenance. I would avoid and go for Tubus.

Hello, I have a quick question about the contact point between the Tubus Tara frame and fork at the bottom. While I was installing the rack, I noticed that spacer isn't quiet long. So, the rack is making a direct contact with the fork frame. Do you know if that is an issue?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hello, I have a quick question about the contact point between the Tubus Tara frame and fork at the bottom. While I was installing the rack, I noticed that spacer isn't quiet long. So, the rack is making a direct contact with the fork frame. Do you know if that is an issue?

I am not able to get to the bike for a close up right now, but from memory there is a gap, but I have put a sleeve of air hose between the two parts so they never touch under load. The gap is very small. I would highly recommend the rack and fork don’t touch. If you get rust in the fork drop outs, there is no telling what the eventuality would be.

Top Bottom