Front rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tubus Ergo or Tara?

or something else. The ones that came with my Galaxy are pathetic and need replacing.

canadiense

I chose the Tubus Tara because it is steel, has a high weight capacity rating and it is light itself compared to the Surly rack. I did like the Surly rack for its shelf but it is heavy and looks it. Steel is a must if you are going remote or third world because it is weldable.

I think they are more expensive but then there are components that warrant the extra expense.

willem

Über Member
I like the Tubus Duo, but you can only use then if your fork has the drillings.
But whatever you choose, you cannot really go wrong with Tubus. The only disadvantage is that they rust, so I had mine chromed.
Willem

Crankarm

Guru
Mr P not wanting to appear to be ignoring your post, I would recommend some if I thought they would be good enough. I have the Blackburn Front Low loaders but cannot recommend them. Cheap and not so cheerful. I would buy a Tubus front rack but for the cost of them. I was hoping Madison would do a front summit rack as their rear summit rack is pretty good and on a par with or better than the Tubus racks but at a fraction of the price. Tubus seem to have nailed the front rack market. There is little that comes close to them as far as I can see. The American racks such as Surly and Nitto are just too heavy from what I have read.

What's the difference between Ergo and Tara?

Travel light you then don't need to buy a front rack.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think my rubbish ones are Blackburn, Crankarm! There seems little difference between the Tara and Ergo apart from an extra loop of metal for the panniers to rest on. I know they're pricey but I reckon I'll get my money's worth out of them over the next few years.
As for travelling light, I do try but the front panniers carry 2 sleeping bags and 2 thermarests as a weght concession to my ladywife!

Crankarm

Guru
rich p said:
I think my rubbish ones are Blackburn, Crankarm! There seems little difference between the Tara and Ergo apart from an extra loop of metal for the panniers to rest on. I know they're pricey but I reckon I'll get my money's worth out of them over the next few years.
As for travelling light, I do try but the front panniers carry 2 sleeping bags and 2 thermarests as a weght concession to my ladywife!

Ha! You're scuppered :biggrin:.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've managed to fit my new Tubus Ergo rack but what are the sticky black rectangular pads for?:ohmy:

bonj2

I would not recommend a front rack as it is going to adversely affect the handling of the bike.
Surely hanging some heavy and possibly uneven weights off the part of the bike that does the steering is going to be a recipe for disaster.

HelenD123

Guru
rich p said:
I've managed to fit my new Tubus Ergo rack but what are the sticky black rectangular pads for?:ohmy:

Stopping the pannier scratching the rack? My rear Tubus came with black tape for this.

Bigtwin

I gave up with silly low rider front racks on my Galaxy - good news ones are stupid money.

Instead I fitted a short MTB rear rack on the front. I use either rear panniers on it with the heavy stuff at the bottom, or some Army issue side pouches connected together, depending on the luggage capacity need. With the latter, you can have two horizontally mounted per side, and they function much like low riders anyway. Keeps the rack top free for a rack bag, or for something larger and light, like my sleeping bag.

I've found it to be a perfectly decent arrangement. Do my weekly shop with 4 panniers on loaded full, handles fine, or as well as anything will with that much weight on. Certainly don't notice any difference from low rider fronts, though I'm not screaming down Alpine passes on it.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bonj said:
I would not recommend a front rack as it is going to adversely affect the handling of the bike.
Surely hanging some heavy and possibly uneven weights off the part of the bike that does the steering is going to be a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the input, Bonjy baby, but I've toured thousands and thousands of miles with front panniers and never had a problem. The question was what to do with the black pads and I suspect Helen's answer is nearer the right answer! Anti scratch pads, cheers Helen.
Compared to the Blackburns these Tubus ones are the business but I've yet to try them out fully.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I would go for the Tara because it looks like once removed it could be more easily packed in your panniers for travel by plane etc to avoid the possibility of damage if leaving it fitted. I have had two front racks damaged in flight in recent years.

Blackburn racks are very good, I had a standard low rider for 15 years with no problems touring in all conditions. The only reason it needed replaced was due to being mangled in transit as mentioned above and I didn't have time to pursue its replacement under the lifetime warranty.
My Blackburn rear rack is still going strong after 18 years.

Copy 'Blackburn' racks such as Bor Yueh etc., however should be avoided, they are not of the same quality.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Too late, already fitted the Tubus!
(See above!)

I retract the libel of Blackburns - the crap ones were indeed Bor Yueh. Terrible, avoid like the plague.

Crankarm

Guru
rich p said:
Too late, already fitted the Tubus!
(See above!)

I retract the libel of Blackburns - the crap ones were indeed Bor Yueh. Terrible, avoid like the plague.

Nice one Mr P.

Just to clarify Blackburn racks are crap speaking from direct experience. I have had two Expedition EX-2 racks, the supposedly top touring expedition rack, where the welds have cracked. One EX-2 rack is about 3 years old and the other 4 months old. The welding on them is not brilliant and simply does not last. Blackburn's quality control is poor as the tubes are only welded on one side as opposed to all the way around compared to Tubus and Madison which are far far better. Also my my low loaders are Blackburn. In hindsight they are a crap design as the mounting rails converge to one point ar the front of the mounting rail meaning you can only use half the length as there simply isn't enough space to get a pannier hook in further up. Madison racks are far better made as I have a rear Summit rack on one bike. I can't afford Tubus but will no doubt shell out for a Tubus front rack(s) for my tourers in due course when I am more flush. If Blackburn are crap it doesn't say much about the imitations if they are even more crap!

bonj2

rich p said:
Thanks for the input, Bonjy baby, but I've toured thousands and thousands of miles with front panniers and never had a problem. The question was what to do with the black pads and I suspect Helen's answer is nearer the right answer! Anti scratch pads, cheers Helen.
Compared to the Blackburns these Tubus ones are the business but I've yet to try them out fully.

well ther's plenty o' difference between you and a christian! ;)

Top Bottom