Front spokes rattling together

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hello

When I go over a bump or simply plop the front wheel of my bike onto the ground, the wheel makes a metallic rattling sound. It seems as if the spokes are rattling together where they cross each other.

I tried tightening all the spokes, then truing the wheel, but the rattle is still present. I also tried applying some lube where the spokes cross.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Would this problem have to do with loose spokes, the wheel being old, or something else?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What sort of wheel is it........... how old / new / make...... etc.............

Tricky question.... ?

OP
OP
H

hello

It's a fairly thin road bike wheel on an early 80's Schwinn bike. I'm not sure how old the wheel is... I bought the bike 2 years ago, used, and the wheels were by no means new at that point. The spokes are no longer shiny metal; they have a dull gray surface.

OP
OP
H

hello

I suspect it's the spokes because it sounds like many "clang" sounds going off simultaneously, at the moment the wheel hits the ground. It sounds a bit like a chain-link fence being kicked, how the movement of the metal pieces makes a unified sound.

Maybe I should just ignore it? The wheel seems to be in sturdy shape, and it's an old bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you sure it's not just the little collar loose on the valve? I had this yesterday, same as you and I was mystified for a few minutes.

Crankarm

Guru
I have some clicking spokes on a front wheel although the wheel is not like yours which sounds like it's old and knackered. I tried grease between the spokes where they cross each other in the lace pattern with some success, but the clicking was only dulled and returned with a vengeance quite quickly. I can exacerbate it or get it to disappear by leaning on either side of the handle bars. The rim is a 32H Mavic Open Pro CD only 2-3 years old on a same age Campag Chorus hub with stainless steel plain DT spokes. But as I don't cycle anymore I forgot about it until I read your post. So yes you are not the only one experiencing the symptoms you describe.

Top Bottom