Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
so brexiteers are not a good example of people who have been vindicated. Why is that then?

Two things:
1. You were the one who brought up the entirely irrelevant matter of Brexit in this thread (TWICE*) and your implication was obvious so stop being disingenuous.
2. I'm not going to continue this line of discussion in this thread. Any further mentions of Brexit will have me reaching for the report button.

*Everyone thought better than to respond to it the first time but you couldn't resist repeating it. There's a word for deliberately provocative repetition of controversial points with the intent of goading people into arguing and sidetracking the discussion down irrelevant avenues.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
no.......thats not what i posted, i said THEY THOUGHT they are know it alls and i havent posted any memes

meme

an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations.
You reposted the meme and yes it's a meme - a piece of text copied and spread rapidly by Internet users.

So would it be fine if someone claims wiggo apologists thought they were clever, intelligent know it alls back when the first rumours were surfacing?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
...SirDave tells Doc to make up something so SirBrad can go faster, Doc produced dubious proof of need, UCI not especially fussed about spitting in the soup .......

I actually agree the full story has yet to come out, but I can't see what further information will leave Wiggin's reputation smelling any fresher than it does at present. There are too many 'unfortunate episodes' and 'memory slips' to feel charitable just because a rider carries a (soon to be blue) British passport.
and were is your proof that the above highlighted line is true??

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You reposted the meme and yes it's a meme - a piece of text copied and spread rapidly by Internet users.

So would it be fine if someone claims wiggo apologists thought they were clever, intelligent know it alls back when the first rumours were surfacing?
actually no....because all i have done is give my own opinion of the so called reports...............and for that i have been called an apologist, just because i don't agree with their opinion

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mod note:

This must be some kind of record, putting in two notes in less than a page.

It seems that some are taking this whole issue far too much to heart. Maybe it's time to think about stepping away for a little while?

If you do decide to stick with it please discuss without dishing out insults. Anyone who can't manage that may be removed from the conversation.

Thankyou.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
OK moving on, a nice summary over on INRG yesterday. http://inrng.com/2018/03/tue-reform-cortisol-tests/

Basically wait and see what happens over the coming weeks and months, but the bit that brought water to my eyes was this " in the late 1990s’ one notorious French rider would rub rock salt into his scrotum until it was red and visit a doctor claiming the soreness was down to chafing shorts and asking for some cortisone cream by prescription"

OK moving on, a nice summary over on INRG yesterday. http://inrng.com/2018/03/tue-reform-cortisol-tests/

Basically wait and see what happens over the coming weeks and months, but the bit that brought water to my eyes was this " in the late 1990s’ one notorious French rider would rub rock salt into his scrotum until it was red and visit a doctor claiming the soreness was down to chafing shorts and asking for some cortisone cream by prescription"

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
One area where things have been tightened up since the Wiggins era is the implementation of a TUE Committee, a panel that oversees granting these. In the past it was often the case that one person alone could approve these and when Chris Froome’s TUE at the Tour de Romandie leaked out WADA ordered the UCI to adhere to its standards which includes having a panel of at least three physicians. The UCI implemented this in the wake of the CIRC Report and now three experts have to unanimously agree. This ought to tighten things up a lot, to have three medics agree that only triamcinolone will do is a hors catégorie hurdle to clear compared to a phone call to the previous UCI doctor Mario Zorzoli.

Lest we forget, Zorzoli and Leinders were close associates back in the day. The CIRC couldn't make any of Rasmussen's mud stick to Zorzoli but he still left his job to spend more time with his family... or whatever it was they gave as the reason.

Adam4868

Guru

Deserves a few days in yellow for that !

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
On the Cycling Podcast the other day, Lionel Birnie made the good point that the UCI probably won't actually investigate the TUEs since it risks showing that they were complicit in the corruption.

I also wonder if ASO's lapdog really has that much of an appetite for bringing further asterisks to the list of winners of their biggest race...

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
On the Cycling Podcast the other day, Lionel Birnie made the good point that the UCI probably won't actually investigate the TUEs since it risks showing that they were complicit in the corruption.

I also wonder if ASO's lapdog really has that much of an appetite for bringing further asterisks to the list of winners of their biggest race...

I suspect that since the offences were committed two UCI presidents ago, and there are convenient bad guys to blame such as Zorzoli, McQuaid and Verbruggen, then Lappartient won't be too uncomfortable with any findings, unless he himself was also complicit in some way (perhaps he sees the UCI Management Committee he was on was sufficiently far removed from the TUE approvals process).

His willingness to call for CADF to investigate may be down to Prudhomme seeing the writing on the wall for Sky, which means ASO doesn't really need Sky so much any more. With Froome's likely ban meaning he'll probably miss the 2018 Tour, and the seemingly never-ending stream of bad Sky behaviour and PED/malpractice revelations, coupled with Wiggins's/Brailsford's/Sky's own national parliament declaring its belief they were/are operating unethically and mis-using performance-enhancing drugs, there is a fast-reducing imperative on ASO to continue to want or need Sky's/Froome's presence.

Factor in the likelihood of Disney finding the Team Sky brand and personnel too toxic, and the whole procycling sponsorship thing probably not fitting with its general strategy, not to mention how Murdoch seems to regard all publicity as good publicity (witness the Sun's reporting) - milking the situation and procycling for all it's worth regardless of the consequences, I imagine Prudhomme is now just thinking enough's enough with Sky's bull$h1t and ethical vacuum (but still keeping his options open).

Then again, it could be just that as a new president who's stated his aim to crack down on such things, Lappartient couldn't really stay quiet.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom