Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Member Julian Knight is the author of Inheritance Tax for Dummies, which purports to "ensure that your nearest and dearest are protected from a large inheritance tax bill". I'm sure it's legal but doesn't that cross an ethical line?

How does that cross any ethical line? The tax laws, of any country, are hugely complex and a legal and financial minefield for the uninformed and unwary. If someone explains how one can legally save money - on taxes or indeed anything else - how is that unethical?

Tin Pot

Guru
The intent - yawn!

This is where everyone gets to reinterpret rules as they see fit because they’re understanding of the unspecified intent is better than someone else’s.

hoopdriver

Guru
[QUOTE 5172709, member: 45"]No lawyer or accountant ever said "......but you can get around that by......". Ever.

Ironic that obfuscation has burst into the room at this point. Try applying the same strategy to speed limits and you'll see it falter.[/QUOTE]
My goodness. If you have been privy to the briefings of every lawyer and every accountant - ever - you must have heard some amazing things in your time. Would you like to share them?

Lance is cycling's Godwin.
Surely Tommy Godwin is cycling's Godwin...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wonder is there should be an ethical line at all in sport - sure it is against the rules and regulations or not. Having a grey area of ethics does not help anybody on either side of the mythical line.

Milzy

Guru
Strange isn't it, our politicians can't sort the NHS out, can't properly fund the police, can't fathom brexit, can't muster the energy to figure out the teacher shortage, can't solve corrupted corporate pension scandals, can't resolve our new found requirement for food banks....But they (seemingly without evidence) know for sure Wiggo was juicing.... Top notch that... Almost like they're diverting attention from other issues or something

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5172791, member: 45"]Hey Mr Sportsman, you have a condition which is impairing your performance right now. Here's some medication, which is legal to take and which will counter that impairment today.

----------------------------------------------------------------ethical line-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Mr Sportsman, you have a condition which is not impairing your performance right now. Here's some medication for that condition, which is legal to take, and which will improve your performance today.[/QUOTE]
OK, o wise one, what about "Hey Mr Sportsman, you have a condition which is not impairing your performance right now but we expect it is reasonably likely to kill you sooner or later if left untreated. Here's some medication, which is legal to take and which will counter that impairment today and which will improve your performance today" - which side of the line is that to you?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The "ethical line", however, appears to have been drawn by Brailsford himself. It's Dave's Petard and he appears to have been hoisted by it.
Which is odd, as I thought he objected to MPCC's different rules on the grounds that they would create just such an ethical grey area and his view was that if it's unethical then the rules should prohibit it, but if the rules allow it then it's ethical to do it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/team-sky-no-medicine-for-regret/ has a Team Sky response rather than a Dave B one but I think he said similar in interviews around that time.

Top Bottom