FSA Gossamer Cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

The second one I have owned that the non drive side crank loosens while riding, I see some were recalled but mine has a different serial number, anybody else had bother with these cranks?

Drago

Legendary Member
Got them on one of my steeds, right as rain.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's almost always the LH side that loosens where a crank is held on with a bolt in the end of the axle, because left cranks suffer bending and torque at the same time. Right cranks (where not permanently fixed to the axle, as yours is) tend not to loosen, because they drive the chainring directly. They suffer from bending and torque loads 90 degrees apart, never at the same time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've just fitted a pair to my new build. They came off a redundant frame I had hanging up and I never had trouble with them on that bike. You need to torque the bolts up to 11-14Nm and a standard Allen key won't do that.

OP
OP
U

User6179

I've just fitted a pair to my new build. They came off a redundant frame I had hanging up and I never had trouble with them on that bike. You need to torque the bolts up to 11-14Nm and a standard Allen key won't do that.

40Nm on the fsa gossamer which is roughly arghhhhhhhhhhhhh tight with a small multi tool.

si_c

Guru
40Nm?

The thread wouldn't stand that, surely?

It's a really beefy thread on the Gossamer. I tighten by hand until it feels firm and that seems to work for me. No evidence that the bolt has loosened at all over time. That being said I do remove it reasonably regularly to regrease the BB as otherwise it starts clicking and creaking like every other FSA BB I've had.

Top Bottom