Fuel fill up to max?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Do you fill your car's fuel tank to max, run it dry then refill? Or do you always fill to a certain amount of money?

I always fill to max and then refill when it's about 10% remaining. Others I know always fill £10 at a time. I always figured that wastes more time. I'm not sure I could drive too far on £10.

si_c

Guru
Filling a fuel tank to the max is very fuel inefficient - you're basically carrying an extra person around with you all the time.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Filling a fuel tank to the max is very fuel inefficient - you're basically carrying an extra person around with you all the time.

Is that actually true ? You will have to factor in the wasted kinetic energy of braking a ton and a half to a halt, idling / maneouveuring, energy of starter motor, idling a bit more whilst turning out, then accelerating back up to speed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This is some sort of joke, right?
It's deadly serious.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is that actually true ? You will have to factor in the wasted kinetic energy of braking a ton and a half to a halt, idling / maneouveuring, energy of starter motor, idling a bit more whilst turning out, then accelerating back up to speed.
You forgot the cost of driving twenty miles out of your way to get fuel that costs a penny a litre less.

MarkF

Guru
I sometimes put £20 in but mostly I run it nearly dry, leave it until MrsF needs it, gives in and fills it up. :okay: My late father was like @Si-c, his cars were always running on fumes as he thought that economical.

My late, older BiL never filled his car up. He not only drove on fumes but a wing and a prayer. He ran out so often that before anyone could say, oh no, or the car had stopped rolling, he was out grabbed the can out of the boot, stuck his thumb out and disappeared. Of course he never had any money either so his watch spent more time in hock than on his wrist. And he didn't just do this in Britain but all round Europe, getting garage owners out of pubs, beds and restaurants, in sleepy villages whilst we all played I spy in the car and fruitlessly tried to find a radio station.

My car is always full!

Top Bottom