Fuel fill up to max?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
Depends on how long a journey i'm planning, full if long or £25 ish normal. I never let it go below a quarter of a tank tough just in case it picks up crap from the bottom of the tank.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Ran out of fuel last week. The float in the fuel tank sticks in hot weather and gives false readings. Not just on any Tuesday, but on my daughter’s first day of work experience. :shy:

(She was on time thank the chronological gods above)

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Depends on how long a journey i'm planning, full if long or £25 ish normal. I never let it go below a quarter of a tank tough just in case it picks up crap from the bottom of the tank.

The pickup is in the same place regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.

D

Deleted member 1258

About once a week, normally when its about a quarter full, I put 10 litre in, 10 liter is normally good for 90 - 100 miles. If I've got a long trip to do I'll put 25 litre in.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Am I the only one who buys fuel in litres?

I know what mpg my car does and buy in litres accordingly. As I do so little mileage, half a tank lasts 2-3 weeks.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If I'm going on a long journey I'll brim it, otherwise it's filled no more than half.

Top tip I learned for my car when you think you've brimmed it: just inside the fuel filler neck, there's a little lever which, when pressed, draws the fuel in the neck into another chamber. I can get another gallon in by using this wee switch.

vickster

Legendary Member
I stick 30-40 in a time
Ditto unless I'm on a long drive and somewhere the juice is cheaper than around here. I mostly use super so costs me about 5p more a litre. I use almost no petrol ordinarily so work trips at the mo are more than covering my fuelling needs (when I remember to claim)

I put more in when it gets down to quarter full. Usually I add a weeks worth, about £25.
Then I pootle around like I'm driving miss daisy obeying all the limits and annoying the crap out of Barnsley tailgaters to get my every pennies worth.

Tim Hall

Filling a fuel tank to the max is very fuel inefficient - you're basically carrying an extra person around with you all the time.
Take a large estate, such as a Mondeo. The last one I drove had a 62l tank. Diesel has a density of 0.83kg/l, so a full tank adds 62 x 0.83 = 51kg.
That's about 60% of a full grown person with a mass of 80kg. (Looks back fondly to the time when I was 80kg)
The mass of a 1.6 Zetec Mondeo estate is 1524kg. A full tank is 51/1524×100 = 3%, or as we say in the trade, two tenths of naff all.
You can't run a car with an empty tank, so the 51kg mentioned is very much a worst case.

Very fuel inefficient? I think not.

Top Bottom