Fuel fill up to max?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Does that mean it's more economical to do one big weekly shop with ten bags of shopping, or three smaller ones and stick a tenner in the tank each time? :biggrin:

I do a weekly shop and stick a tenner in the tank whilst I'm doing it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Does that mean it's more economical to do one big weekly shop with ten bags of shopping, or three smaller ones and stick a tenner in the tank each time? :biggrin:
Joking aside, it all depends on how far away the supermarket is

In all probability, it's more economical to do a big shop and fill the tank up at the same time

Probably for another thread but - Someone I work with insists that supermarket petrol is cheaper because they add water to it so you don't go as far and your engine rusts from the inside out.
This is the same person that insists that RyanAir planes carry the bare minimum of fuel and declare an emergency at the end of every flight to get priority landing and so give the impression of being on time or early.

I pass a Tesco on my commute and there's no rusty water marks trailing behind my car I'll have you know.

snorri

Legendary Member
Filling a fuel tank to the max is very fuel inefficient - you're basically carrying an extra person around with you all the time.
It might be, but when you consider the nervous tension involved in all of the mental arithmetic going on to calculate when next to purchase road fuel, the driver distraction of frequently peering at the fuel gauge, the regular diversions to filling stations and time spent at said filling stations as described by many on this thread, , then a little fuel inefficiency seems a small price to pay for filling up every time:smile:.

KneesUp

Guru
Do all you people who don't fill up for economy reasons have empty boots?

I reckon there is at least 20kg of shite in my car - walking boots, a jack I've never used, a spare wheel I've never used, two bike racks, a lightboard, a few McDonalds happy meal toys ...

D

Deleted member 1258

I reckon there is at least 20kg of shite in my car - walking boots, a jack I've never used, a spare wheel I've never used, two bike racks, a lightboard, a few McDonalds happy meal toys ...

Most of the time yes, I don't keep stuff in the car.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Marginal gains to be made there.

KneesUp

Guru
All you cyclists driving dirty, dirty diesels. Tsk!
(I'm assuming anyone who's mentioned over 50mpg is in a diesel or a tiny petrol - I get 50 on a run in out 1.8 petrol, but more like 30 in town)

Drago

Legendary Member
Im doing 71 mpg in a non hybrid petrol...smart Fortwo. I wouldnt touch a dirty diseasel with someone elses - may as well drive a crop sprayer churning out heart and respiratory disease and death.

perplexed

Guru
I fill up to the top when I do the supermarket shop. I can't be doing with the faffing about and filling with lesser amounts because I'd have to go out of my way if I did that which would defeat the object of the excercise. The exception would be on a day off and we're off out long distance and out of 'synch' food-shopping wise.

The supermarket is about 3 miles or so away and off a busy road. This being Sheffield, there is always the hilly terrain to be taken into account. I'd have to queue uphill, having just fuelled up, stop-starting. So it makes no sense to do this more often.

Off topic, but out of interest, I would imagine the average mpg in Sheffield (or anywhere else with similar topography as opposed to just 'size') is not as good as many cities or places that are flat. I do recall reading many years ago, possibly 1970s, that bus manufacturers used to put slightly larger engines in vehicles for South Yorkshire Transport, as it was back then, due to the steep gradients.

Top Bottom