Fuel fill up to max?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Fill with £30 or £40 a time - enough for the commute for the week (no bike commute now) or £60 if going somewhere. Not often I fill up to the top - just fill with enough for the week.

Usually fill just before the dash light comes on - if the light comes on, fine, but if that and the big fuel pump warning on the 7" sat nav screen, plus the resulting bongs, and 'go to your nearest pump' message, then my missus goes mad !! :laugh:

The OH filled out (shared) car up on 2 miles range the other week - I don't use it Monday to Friday. When she bought her first car after I'd met her it had - - on the range display, and we drove that for (seemingly) miles trying to find a petrol station, what with it being pre-google. That said, I've run cars dry twice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most lights give you a good 30 miles before you run out. Just that my car, although an old Nissan, had all sorts of stuff in it, and the orange light on the dash is OK, no 'bing bong' alarm, but when driving along further and this big red 'fuel pump' sign pops up on screen, with the 'bing bong' loud warning noise, and a 'go to nearest fuel station, press here for a map' button, I got a right rollocking when it happened to the missus whilst she was driving. Her old car wasn't like this, nor is her new Nissan. :laugh: I've not managed to get to that screen again !

perplexed

Guru
I've only ever run out of petrol once, in about 1988... I'll not be doing that again. In my defence, in was a 1970s VW Beetle and the fuel gauge was useless.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Its £1.26 a litre in Salford anyone beat that? Still 80 squids to fill up tho

It's as cheap as £1.19 for petrol this side of the hill, £1.23 for diesel - although that's supermarket fuel :headshake:

Can't beat this though:

Petrol 118.7
Diesel 123.7

All you cyclists driving dirty, dirty diesels. Tsk!
(I'm assuming anyone who's mentioned over 50mpg is in a diesel or a tiny petrol - I get 50 on a run in out 1.8 petrol, but more like 30 in town)

Yep, diesels drive much nicer than petrol. All that torque - and no road tax to pay. ;)

Although funnily enough, my first diesel (1.4HDi 2003) it was a struggle to get the economy to drop below 60mpg. Mid 60s virtually all the time in normal use, 70-80mpg on a run.
My current mild hybrid diesel (1.6eHDi 2014) rarely gets out of the upper 50s....:ohmy:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
All that torque for a split second, then it's gone. All that noise. All that smell. All that filth from the tailpipe.

James Bond never drove a diesel. Thomas Magnum's Ferrari wasn't a diesel. Donald Trump doesn't get chauffeur driven round in a Massey Fergusson ;)

I've only ever run out of petrol once, in about 1988... I'll not be doing that again. In my defence, in was a 1970s VW Beetle and the fuel gauge was useless.
I ran out of fuel on my first car in the first day. I bought it from a (in retrospect) shady dealer, and I remember remarking to them when I picked it up "oh, you didn't syphon off the petrol" as the fuel gauge was at the same level as during my test ride. They just gave me a quizzical look. I ran out of petrol a few hours later. Turns out the fuel gauge was broken, and they presumably had siphoned off most of what had been in there, hence the quizzical looks.

Well, I say "my first car", but technically it was my first two cars as it turned out to be a (very well done) cut and shunt job.

perplexed

Guru
I ran out of fuel on my first car in the first day. I bought it from a (in retrospect) shady dealer, and I remember remarking to them when I picked it up "oh, you didn't syphon off the petrol" as the fuel gauge was at the same level as during my test ride. They just gave me a quizzical look. I ran out of petrol a few hours later. Turns out the fuel gauge was broken, and they presumably had siphoned off most of what had been in there, hence the quizzical looks.

Well, I say "my first car", but technically it was my first two cars as it turned out to be a (very well done) cut and shunt job.

My wife bought a Mk 3 Cortina many years ago. Turned out it was exceptionally good value, because she too seemingly bought two cars for the price of one...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I used to have to carry at can of petrol in the back of a Vauxhall Firenza many years ago as the fuel gauge was rubbish. Erratic at best, but generally not working at all. I misjudged the miles I had covered since the last fuel stop a few times, including a couple of times early in the relationship with the now Mrs B. :rolleyes:

Stephenite

Membå
All that torque for a split second, then it's gone. All that noise. All that smell. All that filth from the tailpipe.

James Bond never drove a diesel. Thomas Magnum's Ferrari wasn't a diesel. Donald Trump doesn't get chauffeur driven round in a Massey Fergusson ;)
Didn't you used to drive around on chip fat?

D

Deleted member 1258

The only thing I've managed to run out of fuel was a 3.5 ton flat bed truck. I was working stores/goods in in a small engineering company and also was the company driver, but because my absences when I was driving were disrupting the stores they took the job of me and gave it to the machine shop labourer. A few months later they needed a piece of machinery picking up that had to be paid for so I got sent out, unfortunately no one told me the truck had got a fuel leak on it, this was in the days before we carried bank cards, I spent what money I was carrying but didn't quite make it back and had to call out the manager to bail me out.

Top Bottom