Fugly cycling trends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My recent travails looking for a jersey for winter brought home to me how fundamentally ugly some things in cycling now are.

Di2 mechs, yeuk
Big fat carbon frames
Hideously finished carbon frames with the weave showing (is that deliberate)
totally black rat bikes (Specialized I'm looking at you)
discs on roadbikes (Hideous)
curved main tubes (why, just why)
Squared tubes (g'way with you now)
Huge branding on everything

And that's just the things that immediately stood out. I couldn't find a jersey unless it was red or black or branded across the chest. I also thought the quality was pretty iffy for the price on some stuff.

No doubt some of you will disagree. I won't argue with you, there's no point in arguing with people who are wrong, that's why I never bother with Markymark.

We need to add you on a bike to the ugly list. Near the top.

Slick

Guru
After Mondays freezing commute ride, I think I'll keep mine for the foreseeable future.:cold:

And discs on road bikes are the future, get used to it. :becool:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Carbon tubing shaped to resemble metallic tubing. Use the material properly and build a proper monocoque. Yeah yeah I know, UCI rules and all that but it's 2017 for goodness sake.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Di2 mechs - check x2
Big fat carbon frames - check
totally black rat bikes - yep
Squared tubes - tick x2
Huge branding on everything - huge but shiny black on matt black, oversized font on another, so score two.
Dropped seatstays and Curved seatstays. Got to be straight. Two bikes with dropped, another curved. Hat-trick!
Rims so wide the wheel looks like a doughnut. Yum.

Although I do also own a Thorn Sport Tour, the Ann Widdecombe of bikes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
And discs on road bikes are the future, get used to it. :becool:

There was a youtube clip about them, according to that it was due to CF rims not liking to get hot* (to the point of failure) hence the need to move braking to elsewhere on the wheel.

* The carbon is unaffected by heat but the resin that bonds the fibres together is.

screenman

Legendary Member
There was a youtube clip about them, according to that it was due to CF rims not liking to get hot* (to the point of failure) hence the need to move braking to elsewhere on the wheel.

* The carbon is unaffected by heat but the resin that bonds the fibres together is.

They make discs out of among other thing carbon fibre.

Top Bottom