Fulcrum 5 bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cliveyp

The other night when I was putting the wheels back on the bike after transporting, I noticed that the rear felt really quite rough/gritty when rolling in my fingers. The front seems OK, but the rear definitely not.

I found an old thread detailing bearing alternatives in these wheels, but didn't know if time has changed anything so thought i'd check up.

The wheels are Fulcrum Racing 5's, not the LG version. As i've said, the front feels great, but I might as well change all if i'm doing the rear. Can anyone tell me the current bearing type and quantity, and the recommended replacements if an alternative is a better bet?

As for the actual fitting, i'm fairly practical (i'm a mechanical engineer, all be it desk-based) and am happy to give most things a go. I presume this isn't a particularly difficult job as long as you have the correct tools? Can anyone tell me what i'm likely to need in order to do this?

The other night when I was putting the wheels back on the bike after transporting, I noticed that the rear felt really quite rough/gritty when rolling in my fingers. The front seems OK, but the rear definitely not.

I found an old thread detailing bearing alternatives in these wheels, but didn't know if time has changed anything so thought i'd check up.

The wheels are Fulcrum Racing 5's, not the LG version. As i've said, the front feels great, but I might as well change all if i'm doing the rear. Can anyone tell me the current bearing type and quantity, and the recommended replacements if an alternative is a better bet?

As for the actual fitting, i'm fairly practical (i'm a mechanical engineer, all be it desk-based) and am happy to give most things a go. I presume this isn't a particularly difficult job as long as you have the correct tools? Can anyone tell me what i'm likely to need in order to do this?

Allen key (I assume the axle is removed by allen key), plastic (not rubber) mallet or copper hammer. Ball peen hammer. Pin punch, 5 or 6mm.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the front is fine I would not change the bearings in its hub: it has a much easier time than the rear. Normally an 11mm allen key is needed to remove the freehub.

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't remember if mine are 5LGs but I had a thread long ago about alternative bearings which are still in and working fine .
17mm spanners are all you need IIRC to remove the axle..the free hub then just pulls out quite easily.
There are 2 spacers of different lengths as you disassemble..don't refit them in the wrong end.
Benefits of better bearings ?...it may be psychological but mine felt stodgy when new...didn't freewheel for more than a few revolutions. no doubt they would have freed up but I wanted an instant feelgood factor so I fitted low friction bearings. the effect was instant.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you do fit new bearings, don't use the inner ring as an impact point, you'll probably jar the balls in their cage. Always try to use the outer race.
Ideally,carefully place the old bearing on top of the new one and use that to drive without potentially damaging the new bearing.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above ,a socket will usually fit the outer diameter and allow you to tap them home...or better still use a long bolt and washers to get them in square..then finish off with the socket..

20160417_134919.jpg

Also there's a youtube clip for Fulcrum Racing 5 bearing replacement... I have it at home though can't access it from the office. You can look it up though.

It's a silent movie (so you can find a clip of fast comedy piano playing to go along with it).

BB

OP
OP
C

cliveyp

Thanks all. I'll look into it properly once I'm back off holiday and get it sorted. If it's a simple job then I won't bother the LBS with it!

Top Bottom