Fulcrum freehub overhaul.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
During a general clean up and lube I had my Fulcrum 5 Evolution rear wheel out and felt some notchiness in the freehub bearings.
For anyone interested...cost of a new freehub..50 to 60 quid.
2x bearings ?...I called in a favour but they dont cost that much.
Tonight's job...replace em.
20180614_183935.jpg

Freehub and axle out.

20180614_182456.jpg
2x 61901-2RS (6901 equivelent)
Flip out one seal from each bearing if you want to maintain the manufacturers spec..leave in of it suits.

20180614_175840.jpg
Drive the outboard bearing out from the in-board side , this exposed some liberal amount of grease and a circlip holding the on-board bearing. Quite a bugger to remove the circlip (you need proper pliers) then drive out the second bearing.
20180614_182726.jpg

New bearing fitted. Refit circlip, grease well inside, insert spacer, fit outboard bearing.
20180614_182736.jpg

Avoid at all costs hitting the races or inner ring, I used a socket JUST smaller than the OD of the bearing so you'e striking the outer ring where no damage to the bearing will occur. Bearings weren't particularly tight.
All smooth now, took me maybe 3/4 hour, much of that pigging about with external circlip pliers instead of internal.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
My fulcrum wheels are in severe need of the same treatment. I will do it and then use them next winter but I've decided to invest in new Mavics to get the bike like new again.

Probably a bit extravagant but I just wanted to treat myself. I didn't realise the winter commute would take it's toll quite as much as it did on some components.

Top Bottom