Fulcrum Racing 7 LG or Shimano RS21 or ???

Which wheelset?

• Fulcrum Racing 7 LG

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Shimano RS21

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

My son is looking to buy some replacement wheels for his Cannondale CAAD 8 which currently has the stock wheels that it came with (which are now shot).

As he is currently a PhD student and doesnt have a big budget (£100 or there abouts) he's looking at Fulcrum Racing 7 LG or Shimano RS21 wheelsets.

I'm leaning toward the Fulcrums as I ride Racing 5 and my wife rides the 7 LG (although not enough miles to find fault). Any opinions out there that will help or other options to look at? I would get him some myself for Christmas but already get him something else (bike related if course lol).

Ive not ran that model of shimano but i have ran the Fulcrum 7s for about 4,000miles in all weather and including the cobbles in Flanders and they are still perfect, the front wheel spins almost perpetually in the stand. I think shimano wheels are cup and cone (great if you're into regular maintenance) but the fulcrums have got sealed bearings which are more robust and require less maintenance (I've never touched mine). The Fulcrum 7s seem to accelerate just as well as my dearer wheels as well.
I've quattros on my other bike which were my summer wheels, became my winter wheels, they were then pressed back into service as my TT wheels and are back in service as winter wheels and truesness wise/ hub wise they are still as good as new, despite a crash in between, The fulcrums would definitely be my choice.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Thanks all for your input. Order placed for the Fulcrums.

Citius

Why not?

Benjifield

Maintance is the key for shimano wheels.. If you reguarly keep them well greased and adjusted propperly, they are a real good set of wheels. If you dont then they will be a very short life span.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Maintance is the key for shimano wheels.. If you reguarly keep them well greased and adjusted propperly, they are a real good set of wheels. If you dont then they will be a very short life span.
I kinda have to agree on this one , my r501s on the commuter need greasing maybe 3 times a year, but they are ridden in all weathers .

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Unless somethings changed or ive always got it wrong, Fulcrum 7s have cup n cone bearings, its the 5s that have cartridge bearings. I'll happily be shown otherwise though.
Otherwise, the weights are the only other issue, both will be good wheelsets im sure.
R500s on my commuter, bombproof and only needed minimal mqintanqnce despite serious winter commuting, Fulcrum 5s for summer commuting and longer distance rides...Shimano / Fulcrums, both have been excellent

OP
OP
U

User33236

I kinda have to agree on this one , my r501s on the commuter need greasing maybe 3 times a year, but they are ridden in all weathers .
My son struggles with basic maintenance never mind greasing cup and cone bearings so I think I've made the right choice for him :smile:

I do try and teach him more each time I visit though.

gbb

Legendary Member
Never had 7s so im not conversant with them but seen what appears conflicting info.
From Fulcrums page, they mention cup and cone construction bearings in the link below...
http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-7-lg
Scroll down the page to the pictures and section that says bearings, quite clearly says cup and cone.
yet their spare parts sheets do indeed show cartridge bearings.

I'll gladly accept theyre sealed cartridges though.

Top Bottom