Full 20 mph city limit - a return to non drivers owning their town?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

As a motorcyclist, I particularly find the sloping sides of a speed cushion an unnecessarily dangerous and unneccessary obstacle in the road. the sides of them tends to push you off at a tanget...Be that into the path of an oncoming vehicle or the kerb...

That's why I always ride through the gaps.

Linford

[QUOTE 2831031, member: 45"][/quote]

Well that is not really what has been said (well not by me) @misterpaul

What has been said is that blanket limits create familiarity, detract from real problem zones, and ultimately breed contempt.
Sure they have their place outside schools, in shared spaces etc, but across an entire town or city ?....I don't think so

Last edited:
Changing one sign for another only slows down the safe attentive ones, the ones who cause issues are going to ignore it regardless. As I also pointed out before, the 20mph limits aren't enforceable by simply putting the sign up, the area will need to be re-landscaped, which will not happen.

GrasB

Veteran
As a motorcyclist, I particularly find the sloping sides of a speed cushion an unnecessarily dangerous and unneccessary obstacle in the road. the sides of them tends to push you off at a tanget...Be that into the path of an oncoming vehicle or the kerb...
I'd like to see the return of traditional speed bumps. I have never found properly installed speed bumps a problem on a pedal cycle, motorbike or car. On a cycle I've had a front or rear wheel step to the side on the side slopes & in perfectly road-legal cars which aren't that low speed cushions can cause massive engine & gearbox damage if the speed cushion is precisely the wrong size for your your cars track & suspension. While you can ground out cars on speed bumps the damage done is usually far less sever as car manufactures tend to design in such a way that you ground out things like the floor pan rather than the sump or gearbox housing!

Cameras are everywhere in London. Surely they could work out using average speed cameras in areas, not just along roads?

Other speed limits are enforceable, why not the 20mph?

They will be, however, the landscaping and area must feel like a 20mph, so it cannot be mistaken for a 30mph limit, therefore just changing the 30 signs to a 20 is not suitable, and ACPO guidelines state that in this circumstance they will not enforce them.

Where as the link previously to the Birmingham 20mph ones, simply states that no additional traffic calming will be installed, just a change of sign, it's a political keep locals happy tool, not a serious intent to make a difference.

snorri

Legendary Member
They will be, however, the landscaping and area must feel like a 20mph, so it cannot be mistaken for a 30mph limit, and ACPO guidelines state that in this circumstance they will not enforce them.
There is no conspicuous difference in landscaping between 30 and 40 mph locations, so why do we need it for 20? ACPO guidelines are irrelevant to the OP, but I agree it is a political sop, motor traffic reduction is required as much as reducing speed.

There is no conspicuous difference in landscaping between 30 and 40 mph locations, so why do we need it for 20? ACPO guidelines are irrelevant to the OP, but I agree it is a political sop, motor traffic reduction is required as much as reducing speed.

Street lighting is the usual difference between 30 and 40 limits.

Linford

[QUOTE 2831149, member: 45"]According to the links posted earlier about Birmingham earlier extra measures will be used where necessary. So it will happen. The content of the news story suggests that the planners know what they're talking about rather more than some on here would like to believe.[/quote]

If you might appreciate the enormous mess made of my towns road system over the years, you would be left in no doubt that they are just dabbling. Instead of doing some trials to test the theory, they just plough millions into these ideas with no real idea if they will work.
Subsequently most residents with the benefit of hindsight have lost faith in the experts ability to get it right...they are now meddling with the town centres traffic flow...they have been pushing for it for decades to stop a raod which deals with 10,000 vehciles a day....all they will do is push the problem into the residential streets, create massive gridlock on other roads which have a set of lights every 50 metres...or both !

Top Bottom