Full 20 mph city limit - a return to non drivers owning their town?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 2910537, member: 45"]To clarify, and bring this back from the dead-end...

Speeding, as in going too fast, is the single most common factor in road fatalities.

And for clarity, a couple of examples of the definitions listed in your Google search which you have chosen to omit (though the argument is irrelevant:

noun
☆ the act of driving a motor vehicle at a higher speed than is safe or legal

speed·ing (spē′dĭng)
adj.
Moving with speed.

Speedingdefined as "exceeding the posted speed limit, driving too fast for conditions, or racing"

What is speeding?
There are two types of speeding:
  1. Where a heavy vehicle travels faster than the posted speed limit.
  2. Where a driver travels within the speed limit but because of road conditions (eg fog or rain) this speed is inappropriate.
[/quote]
There are two entirely different issues here - perhaps it would be better if there were different words

1 Going faster than legal speed limit. This is not in itself inherently dangerous - though speed as said is a big factor is the level of injury in accidents.

2 Driving beyond the safe speed given the road and conditions. Ther are many country roads with a 60 limits but it is not safe to go at anywhere near that speed.

To me speeding always meant driving over the speed limit.
Going too fast is what it says

Linford

There are two entirely different issues here - perhaps it would be better if there were different words

1 Going faster than legal speed limit. This is not in itself inherently dangerous - though speed as said is a big factor is the level of injury in accidents.

2 Driving beyond the safe speed given the road and conditions. Ther are many country roads with a 60 limits but it is not safe to go at anywhere near that speed.

To me speeding always meant driving over the speed limit.
Going too fast is what it says

Do stop trying to offer rational definitions...it just promotes irrational fervour amgonst the discombobulated ;)

Linford

2910813 said:
Taken by itself alone, without any need to consider how speed increases the probability of a collision in the first place, this appears sufficient to settle the matter.

Would you liketo have a go at explaining why the fastest roads in the UK (motorways) are also the safest ?

Paspie

Ironically the social problems associated with motor-vehicles on public roads were best put by J. Clarkson on 4x4s:

"4x4s are like nuclear weapons. Once one person has one then for protection, so must everyone else."

Paspie

But what if I'm not trolling? I said earlier I'd stopped...

BTW you guys sure aren't living up to the slogan you bill yourselves with. It isn't fun, and it's certainly not friendly.

StuartG

slower but further

1 Going faster than legal speed limit. This is not in itself inherently dangerous ...
Can I stop you right there and claim that it is for at least two reasons:

1. Those of us who drive within the legal limit are all too often intimidated by those that do not. Some are are pushed into driving faster - which can sometimes be justified as speed differential on some roads is even more dangerous than speed itself.

2. Those that willingly speed all so often justify their misbehaviour on "everybody does it, don't they". (Which also demonstrates their lack of observation!)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'd point out that the attitude of "Well I can exceed the speed limit quite safely, not like some drivers, but I'm excellent, so should be able to drive as fast as I like" is exactly the same attitude as "Obviously it's stupid to drink and drive if you can't handle it, but I'm capable of driving perfectly well after a couple, well 3 max, plus one for the road"

Paspie

As with everything it is subjective.

The future, we can only hope, is that we can all use the road responsibly and we won't need speed limits but...it is impossible to tell the right time for that to happen.

Linford

2912255 said:
I'm sorry that you don't find it fun or friendly. Perhaps you could try a couple of things. Firstly leave off tolling and don't mention it again. That way you could leave it behind.
Secondly, stick to things you understand.

Special prize for arrogant and aloof post of the week nomination ?

BTW, it doesn't stop you from rattling on Adrian :thumbsup:

Feastie

Über Member
I live in one of these 20mph areas and to be honest I don't feel it makes much difference. The people who drive a bit dangerously are exactly the same people who don't really care about 20mph limits. The good drivers continue driving well, and the drivers with poor judgement and risk-taking tendencies continue to do so.

In fact, all the traffic calming measures - islands, road bumps etc. - I've actually grown to dislike. It's like a red flag to a bull. They *HAVE* to overtake the cyclist before the speed bump or before the traffic island but then having accelerated past at top speed, they have to slam on the brakes for said obstacle, and usually almost take out the car in the opposite lane/you as the cyclist as they suddenly pull across then brake right in front of you.

Also, on an irrelevant note, I hate cycling over speed bumps :P

Linford

I live in one of these 20mph areas and to be honest I don't feel it makes much difference. The people who drive a bit dangerously are exactly the same people who don't really care about 20mph limits. The good drivers continue driving well, and the drivers with poor judgement and risk-taking tendencies continue to do so.

In fact, all the traffic calming measures - islands, road bumps etc. - I've actually grown to dislike. It's like a red flag to a bull. They *HAVE* to overtake the cyclist before the speed bump or before the traffic island but then having accelerated past at top speed, they have to slam on the brakes for said obstacle, and usually almost take out the car in the opposite lane/you as the cyclist as they suddenly pull across then brake right in front of you.

Also, on an irrelevant note, I hate cycling over speed bumps :P

You are inviting the wrath of the riteous for talking common sense...

Top Bottom