Full size folding road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Schwinn put their name on some Montague folders once in the eighties or nineties. Fuji also made a full sized folder, I still see those now and again, as they were offered as a part of the Marlboro Adventure Team promotion, back in the day. Buy a mess of smokes, get a bike. Those weighed a ton, by the way.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Are you really gaining much over a decent bike box and taking the wheels off a regular road bike. ?
I want a road bike but it's going to have to fit into a Mercedes Vito along with 8 people and their baggage.
In the last 2 years I've used a very ropey MTB at the rented villa and a cheap MTB I bought on arrival and abandoned later.
I might have to see if I can get a regular bike bag in but I'd like a better solution. I'd also be sharing the cost with my son who will use it too.

I want a road bike but it's going to have to fit into a Mercedes Vito along with 8 people and their baggage.
In the last 2 years I've used a very ropey MTB at the rented villa and a cheap MTB I bought on arrival and abandoned later.
I might have to see if I can get a regular bike bag in but I'd like a better solution. I'd also be sharing the cost with my son who will use it too.

OK - i don't know the car in question - but I would compare the size of a full size folded bike - to a traditional bike with wheels removed in a bike box - you might find there isn't much in it.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
OK - i don't know the car in question - but I would compare the size of a full size folded bike - to a traditional bike with wheels removed in a bike box - you might find there isn't much in it.
There is - that's the point. I've taken bikes in bike boxes on planes numerous times.
It's probably unachievable though, without spending 1000s of Pounds for what amounts to a 2 or 3 week holiday.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
This is what I've done numerous times with my Thorn Raven Tour: remove handlebars and cable tie to crossbar, drop out front forks with wheel inside, cable tie to the side of the bike. I leave in the rear wheel and the rear rack, which makes it a bit long, and it can be wrapped in a €1 roll of clingfilm to allay the fears of foreign bus drivers.

You can fly with it like that. It's survived all sorts of flights. To get back from Patagonia I "borrowed" old cardboard boxes from a supermarket and made a sort of box shaped thing that helped me through customs/security/baggage handlers. Bike was fine.

Mind you, Thorn made it to be just about indestructible - it weighs 18 kilos inc front and rear racks and carries 35k of luggage and an old fat bloke. So maybe not what you had in mind.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This what I've ended up with.
I bought the frame from a Taiwan company called changebikes.com. They sell full bikes but I didn't like the spec and I wanted drops.
Their video demo of the straight barred bike with Claris groupset.

View: https://vimeo.com/210792991

I've used a Tiagra groupset for cost, and Fulcrum 7 wheels due to the better spoke pattern to allow for the drops to fold better.
It rides like a proper bike and folds down to an acceptable size.
Weighs in at a tiny bit under 10kg and cost just under a grand, all in.
20180529_165316.jpg

20180529_164913.jpg

@Dayvo

Top Bottom