Full size folding road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I bumped into someone riding a Ritchey Breakaway road bike while on holiday recently. I quite fancy one but the steel ones aren't available over here as far as I can see. They're not cheap either.
Anyone know anything about them or something similar?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There are several companies that will fit S&S Torque Couplings to existing frames, Bob Jackson in Leeds for example, it’s not cheap!
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/s-s-couplings/

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bumped into someone riding a Ritchey Breakaway road bike while on holiday recently. I quite fancy one but the steel ones aren't available over here as far as I can see. They're not cheap either.
Anyone know anything about them or something similar?
It isn't a folding bike - it is one that can be broken down into smaller pieces for more convenient transportation!

I quite fancied one myself, or a Ti bike with S&S couplings.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I've been intrigued by the idea of a rinko bike as espoused by Jan Heine. The idea is to have basically a regular bike with a few small tweaks/choices that make it easy to break down by removing the wheels, handlebars and fork. Takes a few minutes but on the plus side you have a regular bike to ride and it could be done cheaply I think unlike fancy folding bikes or S&S couplers.

rinko18.jpg

Should be small enough to easily fit in a small car or take on a train in a bag and it might make flying easier too.

They weight a bleedin' ton.
Somehow I missed the key word "road" in the subject.

I believe BikeFridays ride like full size bikes, unless you insist on a 700c wheel. It's not the size, it is how you use it!

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/road-sport/

2015.Rocket.Clipped.WEB_.jpg

My full size Dahon Cadenza uses their lockjaw hinge system. It is not a roadbike and the hinge adds some weight. Foldup size is car-bootable but I rarely fold it. You need to consider how the bars and pedals will be arranged, rotated/folded/removed/left sticking out.

Top Bottom