Funny (genuine) nicknames for people you have known of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Something triggered this off earlier today.
When I worked at the docks in Liverpool (in the 60s) I recall 2 guys.
1. Named hook & eye..... he was always asking "who can I borrow a shilling off"
2. A foreman named the balloon as has was always saying "now, don't let me down lads".

nice thread start though I can see the censorbot working overtime.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
In the Army a lad with the surname Kennedy was always called JF, another whose first name was Ewan was called JR (Ewing.... from Dallas).
I also served with Sleepy John Arkwright (Pete) and Whistling Willie Ramsbotham (Steve).

Bloke I met yrs ago was introduced as 'Day-dye', strange I thought so asked him.

Now you need to remember we live in the Black Country so accent is everything here, when he was younger he fell out of the bedroom window and everyone was telling him he was lucky to be alive.

In our local accent he was fortunate that he 'Day die ' (Day meaning didn't) and the name stuck.

I worked with a few lads from Neston and they had the classic nicknames like Dusty (surname Miller) but another lad (not Miller) would become Windy as they liked to follow a trend! Gets weirder... A Steve became Austin (after the $6m man) and the next, logical to them, was Ethel. Thing was that everyone used the nicknames so you'd hear mum shouting upstairs Ethel it's Dusty, Windy and Austin calling for you.
Mind you strange place is Neston ;)

Julia9054

Guru
Steve Wellings.
S.Wellings
Lumps to his friends

DRM

Guru
At one of the sites I used to visit regularly was Topper, as described by one of the other lads “if you’ve been to Tenerife, he’s been to Elevenerife” at another fork truck co one of the engineers was called mudguard as he only cleaned the bits you could see, it was shiny on top and sh*t underneath , at school there was spoon, as that was his entire output in a whole year of metalwork classes

Mine - supacool - was on a stag weekend in Prague, in one of the bars a very camp gay Pavel Nedved lookalike came over to me (why me I have no idea, I was in the middle of about 8 other lads) put his hand under my chin and proceeded to very slowly run his finger down my chest while saying "you are soooo cooool" needless to say none of my mates could stand up for laughing so much, as for me, the nickname just stuck and soocool became supacool - still know by it 15 years later !

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
When I worked in Gibraltar, the theoretically English speaking local work force typically spoke Spanish between themselves. They had nicknames for all of the "foreigners" (ie us) so that it was not obvious when they were talking about us (in Spanish). The nicknames were frequently based on physical attributes. One unfortunate young lady on the accountancy staff was called "Cara Plana" (Flat Face), because she had a noticeably flat face. I never discovered what they called me, perhaps, for the best ;)

Top Bottom