Funny (genuine) nicknames for people you have known of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My late Uncle George was known as The Genie because he'd magically appear when a bottle was opened.

Similarly, Uncle Neil was called The Exorcist because when he left our house there were no spirits left.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Swede - built like Peter Koch's character from Heartbreak Ridge. Now an Inspector I hear.

Hoff - had blow dried hair like Hasselhoff.

Ferret - cos hes a little guy. Nice lad, a PCSO who would have made a brilliant copper but hus reading qnd writing weren't the best so he couldn't pass the entrance exam.

Cletus - because he had this weird hillbilly laugh like Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel.

Thrush - an irritaring little **** that won't go away.

Conehead - because he was bald and had a head shaped like the chatacters from the film.

Drago - my nickname in the army because of my size.

Chopper - my nickname in the police because of my supposed resemblance to Mark Brandon Read.

Skip - I don't know why, but thats what everyone called him.

Captain Stand-by - the conteollermon put shift who'd tell us to standy by, and then forget all about us.

Chins - a fat copper who'd lost a load of weight and been left with flabby skin on his neck.

Dad - a copper in CID who was only about 50 but looked about 80.

Zippy - a security guard we knew who shut his nadger in his zip in error, couldn't free it, and had to be taken to hospital. We teied not tomlzufht as he did the elephant walk to the meatwagon.

Last edited:
Gas bill, because he did lots of overtime, and was always expecting another gas bill

POD, which was short for Poor old Dave.
Slurp, who had a saliva problem and had to frequently suck his saliva back.
Flat battery, who stuttered
Notepad and pencil, because he always wanted to know what was going on, to tell his Ma.

Donut.... ( me, but I do not know)

shag.... from Scooby Doo ( also me, in y very low wage early days, with a mortgage and no spare cash)

postman

Legendary Member
We had some gaffers,give us a clue,he was always asking who are you, bungalow cos he had nothing up top,thick in other words.Rocky Wright cos he once laid a bloke out.pick and flick,always picking his nose.

Working in a steel works in the valleys (pre millennium!) one lad had a prosthetic ear so was called “18 months” as he had (welsh accent) a year and a half.
Chap with bad limp and walking stick known as “snipers nightmare” .
staff moved from one closed site to other plant were “when we’s” as they were always reminiscing

Chopper - my nickname in the police because of my supposed resemblance to Mark Brandon Read.

Skip - I don't know why, but thats what everyone called him.

Captain Stand-by - the conteollermon put shift who'd tell us to standy by, and then forget all about us.

Chins - a fat copper who'd lost a load of weight and been left with flabby skin on his neck.

Dad - a copper in CID who was only about 50 but looked about 80.

Zippy - a security guard we knew who shut his nadger in his zip in error, couldn't free it, and had to be taken to hospital. We teied not tomlzufht as he did the elephant walk to the meatwagon.

ca699f72-8305-4a7a-9d8b-7adda844eae1-460x276.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It definitely won't be considered 'funny' these days and I accept that,but a lad at secondary school in the 1970's looked like George Formby and had a slightly curved (as you looked at his face) head. Sadly he was nicknamed 'George banana head'. I often wonder what horrible nicknames I've had that I don't know of. The known one was bad,but I bet there've been far worse I don't know of! 😳

Top Bottom