Funny (genuine) nicknames for people you have known of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How about Spank or Winker. No idea why they were called that but nowadays nobody would call them that to their face but everybody knows who they are. Started in schooldays I think.
There was also Ketch now sadly dead who had no connection with boats.
There are many others as in small communities with several from different families and with the same name it was the only way to pick out the right person.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A guy I worked with was a bit asthmatic and went by the name of "Breather".

In another job one of the machine operators was always fiddling with the settings on his machine and generally buggered it up in the process. He was known as Nobby Turner.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In my late teens/early twenties, there was a chap I knew whose nickname was Jack. This stemmed from him having large feet. - A number of us were into motor racing of various forms, whether banger racing, stock cars, etc., and there was a formula 1 driver at the time by the name of Jacques Lafitte.

Some pupils at my wife's her first teaching position revealed to my her, that a colleague of hers had the nickname bullets, because her nipples were quite prominent.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
and know of a chap who lost several fingers in an industrial accident.
He was known as "The Clock", because he had a big hand and a little hand.

battered

Guru
My dad's a teacher he has names for loads of kids. Two outstanding ones were 'only a mother could love' and 'short and round' for another lad.

My dad's nickname among the kids is 'legend'.

I'd take that.
A teacher acquaintance of mine worked in a tough bit of Barnsley, when in school she took no prisoners, and was frequently to be found making a 16 year old wannabee hardcase wish he'd not been born. She was known as "Giant". She's 4ft 10.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One of my teachers was a Mr Clitheroe. His name was shortened to 'Clit'.
I saw a van in Hebden Bridge with 'Clitheroe' misspelt as 'Clithero' on the sign on the side of it. I'm not convinced that it was a mistake, given that its owner had a reputation for being a bit frisky with several local women... :whistle:

One rather unkind person at school gave me the nickname 'Colon'. When I asked why, he said that I was long (tall) and full of sh*t! :sad:

Top Bottom