Funny (genuine) nicknames for people you have known of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Work colleage by the name of Paul Salmon had been known as Tinza since his days in the Navy

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
We used to call one colleague "Doctor Cheese Teeth" due to the yellow hue of his smile.

I also worked with a strapping young lady, all of six foot, built like a shot putter, and with a huge shock of yellowy blonde hair. She was affectionately known as the Honey Monster.

gbb

Legendary Member
Good old friend of mine, Trevor...errr rotund in build was called Porky at work. He never minded, gave as good as he got, often better.
Topher....Chris, a childhood friend.
Teef....Keith, a former colleague with stumps for teeth...Keith no Teef.
Shape...another former colleague from long ago, rotund in build, like Porky, it never bothered him.
Arse acher...Roy, a former colleague, surname Saker. R Saker.

Mine...Buttock. With a surname like Whittock, it's been twisted to Whitecock, Littlecock, Ticktock, you name it, I was walking in the workshop years ago, one guy looked up and shouted 'its Buttock :laugh:' That stuck for some years.

gbb

Legendary Member
I saw a van in Hebden Bridge with 'Clitheroe' misspelt as 'Clithero' on the sign on the side of it. I'm not convinced that it was a mistake, given that its owner had a reputation for being a bit frisky with several local women... :whistle:

One rather unkind person at school gave me the nickname 'Colon'. When I asked why, he said that I was long (tall) and full of sh*t! :sad:
Yep, been called Colon plenty of times

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
"Biscuit"

Gentleman in question was called Gary, and was bald.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
My dad worked with a fella called Harry Sicovit.

Because his first name was Harry, and he complained about pretty much everything, using the same words every time. You can guess what they were.

I worked with a lad who got the old docker's nickname of The Destroyer, because he was always after a sub.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Oh, and there was a bloke whose surname was Waddelove, who became known as "Fart In The Bath". Because his surname sounded like one.

Drago

Legendary Member
We had a Supernintendo who was inflicted with the surname James. We called him Syd, often to his face.

We had a lad who's mannerisms reminded us if the character from The Thin Blue Line so he was known as Goody.

One Sicilian bobby was inevitably known as Godfather,mwhich I think he secretly quite liked.

One team was almost entirely made up with coppers named Richard, so they had Richie Big Beard, Richie Small Beard, Richie Goattee and Richie No Beard. If any of them had ever shaved or changed their facial hair styles them the entire force would have been thrown into disarray and confusion.

One female bobby liked the men and was working her way around the force. Unfortunately for her, her surnamed rhymed with Screw-it and that became her nickname.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
And a probably apocryphal one. It appeared in the Herald diary, a newspaper column in the Scottish press.... so it must be true...

A chap who had a glass eye had the nickname "sailor", because he had previously been in the navy.

One day he went to the old Kilmarnock swimming pool, jumped off the top diving board, and his glass eye popped out. The had to clear the pool and dredge the bottom with nets to recover it.

From then on, he was known as "Sailor the Pop-Eye Man".

Top Bottom