Furthest extended rides in a full working day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I enjoyed my annual ride with a colleague after work earlier this week which stretched my days commute from 40 to 80 miles for the day. Really enjoyed it and am now planning more!!

So, I'm wondering, what's the furthest you've ridden as an extended commute whilst doing a full working day? (ie, as distinct from your normal commuting distance!)

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
My commute is 7 miles each way, I often extend my route to 28 miles mostly on the morning commute. I once extended each way and ended up clocking 100.2 miles. At the time it was my biggest mileage covered in a day so I took a pic of my bike computer!

Last edited:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Does cycling a couple of miles home after a night shift, getting changed, swapping bikes and going out to do a 100k count?

If so I used to do that quite a lot on a Saturday morning after the Friday night shift

si_c

Guru
I've extended a homeward commute to about 80miles from 5 at the time.

Does cycling a couple of miles home after a night shift, getting changed, swapping bikes and going out to do a 100k count?

If so I used to do that quite a lot on a Saturday morning after the Friday night shift
No that's cheating. You have to be in your works clothes and no breaks for getting changed into lycra and swapping to your best carbon bike ☺

Slightly different angle

Some years ago, we were working across three sites (St Mary's in Portsmouth, Queen Alexandra at Cosham and the Royal Naval Hospital in Gosport. )There were also meetings at the Fort Southwick offices for the PFI

My best day was starting at 06:30 at Haslar, cycling to St Marys for the morning session, to Fort Soiuhwick for a meting, back to Queen Alexanders for a meeting, then St Mary's and back to Haslar

All in all some 40 miles and all of it on NHS time

... and the best bit was a colleague was at all of these meetings and I beat them even time

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Not much for me. I admire everyone who goes for a long ride after work. Me, I just want to collapse on the sofa after work so I go home the quickest way and leave long rides for my free days.

Alan O

Über Member
Longest I've ever done was back in the days when I was commuting around 15 miles per day (7.5 each way), and a few of us used to do semi-regular rides straight after work of around 25 miles.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nothing hugely exciting. I try to extend the ride daily, but then perhaps that becomes the norm, and not an extension? Anyway, most direct route is 7.7 miles which I always used to take. Last year I was trying for the 1250km Strava month, so extended each way to 15 miles or so. Nowadays my normal route is 9 miles, with an extra mile on the end to cool down.

Top Bottom