Furthest extended rides in a full working day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I once finished work (I did leave a little early, about 3:30 iirc) and set off (in my jeans and a t-shirt and my 'school' shoes on a sensible sturdy hybrid with a pannier full of laptop and work-related-stuff) and rode to Northallerton for coffee and cake at a mate's prior to setting off with a few others on our then-regular Pubbe Runne (to a pub about 12 miles away, but we did a rather longer route with a Comedy Off Road section included) and then continued, post beer'n'chips, with one of the pubrunners further north to Darlington in time for the last train home. I remember being quite pleased as the bike computer ticked over 100km for the ride as I rode up the approach to Darlo station....

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You all need harder jobs if you have the energy to extend your commutes.
Some of these extended commutes are normal distance for some :laugh:

Ashaman42

Über Member
I once extended my old 16 mile route home to 50 miles but I did finish work at lunchtime that day so doesn't entirely count.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had an extended commute forced on me once: at the time, my commute was about 27km one-way, and I was about 5km from work when I realised I'd left my work clothes at home, so had to turn around and get them, so the total distance 'to work' ended up being a bit over 70km.

mangid

Guru
Once cycled up to a training course in Coventry from Cambridge after lunch, as I recall the route I took was ~100miles. I then cycled back to the office 2 days later.

I think I got 18p a mile travel expenses.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My current cycling enthusiasm I guess really started when my work place moved from Birmingham to Rugby. Two of us used to commute by bike regularly to the Birmingham site, and therefore promised to ride the trip to Rugby one day when the weather got warmer, neither of us believing that we would still be there in Spring.

However spring arrived, and we were both still working in Rugby. So with a bit of training, we set off from Birmingham very early one morning, making it to work by 08:00. I was probably very inappropriately dressed (can't remember how now, but certainly no lycra). Fortunately we had the wind behind us for the 32-odd miles. Coming back was tough, though, and took us considerably longer, and a slice of home-made cake.

We got sponsored, not for any great altruistic intent, but to prevent us from backing out at the last moment.

A few years later, and working back in Birmingham again, I made commuting by bike an every-day activity, then bought a decent bike, then starting doing longer rides on the weekend. Then Sportives and Audaxes. I can stop any time I want, though. I just choose not to.

Top Bottom