Gadgets at the table?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freds Dad

Veteran
We don't allow the kids to use any device when eating at the table and have introduced a rule that if you use your phone, tablet ect then you have to clear the table and load and empty the dishwasher. This seems to stop them.

It's also an unrwritten rule when out for dinner with friends that the first to use their phone pays the drinks bill. A couple have actually stopped coming out with us as they couldn't keep off their phones. They're not missed.

MisterStan

Label Required
Sometimes when we're out for a meal as a family (so me, MrsStan and LittleMissStan) we take the iPad as a distraction for the little one. That means that we can chat away without her getting bored. I also think that this tends to keep children's volume down, meaning that others can enjoy their meals in peace.

When we eat as a family at home (mainly weekends) then most of the time we eat at the table. There's nothing wrong with the odd TV dinner though.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
What about all these people who are ignoring each other, while peering around the restaurant at other diners who happen to be using mobiles etc?

Dreadful! ;)

I've got to do something to pass the time. My wife's on her bloody phone again!

Lullabelle

Banana
Last week we were sat in a pub and at the next table was a man and his teenage son probably about 12/13. Clearly mum and dad were divorced and the lad was staying with his dad for a while, the lad asked questions and tried really hard to have a dialogue with his dad but dad kept fiddling with his phone and at times barely registered the lad. Poor kid :sad:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I don't eat at the table. Mainly because I don't have one. Nearly always watching a DVD or on t'internet whilst eating. Dog doesn't seem to object...

Top Bottom