Gadgets at the table?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Actually the ones I feel sorry for are kids in a buggy with Mum chatting away on the phone to invisible friends rather than to the child. I used to natter to my children then natter with them once they could answer. No idea if it will have any long term noticeable effect on their language development.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
When I was a kid all meals were at the meal table and we talked to each other, TVC and I still do that. I do find it bemusing to see a young couple in a store looking at something but both are chatting on their phones and not actually communicating with each other.

Its a wonder there are any young couples the amount of time they spend on their phones.

Drago

Legendary Member
I walked up the road with a colleague the other day, and he pointed out that at least a third of the people we saw were either talking on a mobile or gazing intently at one. What's wrong with people?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Actually the ones I feel sorry for are kids in a buggy with Mum chatting away on the phone to invisible friends rather than to the child. I used to natter to my children then natter with them once they could answer. No idea if it will have any long term noticeable effect on their language development.
I've noticed that a lot too and think it's very sad.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member

Oh summerdays, how sadly right you are!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When we were away for a weekend in the Lakes last year (or maybe the year before) we stopped off in a pub for lunch and were painfully conscious of a family (2 adults & 2 kids) at another table who barely acknowledged each other through the entire meal and each was busy tapping and stroking away at their e-devices while they ate. During the same trip we used the car ferry across Windermere, not because we needed to but as part of the Lakes experience for the kids. On the ferry we saw another family drive on to the boat and again, family of four, switched off the engine and sat there in the car with noses glued to their devices for the whole crossing. They barely looked up to take in the beauty of the surroundings or savour the experience of the moment.

I have a word for this, Tragic! It is a tragedy for modern society and I for one can mot see this trend ending well.....

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Makes my blood boil and although tech is great, I feel there is a time and place for it..............not in company where you can actually talk to a human ! I have lost count how many people I have nearly hit as they blunder across the road with their eyes glued to a communication device of some sort ! If I had been a silent running hybrid car then they would be toast !!! I also love the look on peoples faces when they ask for my mobile number and I say "I don't have my own mobile, only a work one and I do not know where it is at the moment ! "
I have told my kids they can have a mobile phone when they can afford to pay for it and not when all their friends say they can have one !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When we were away for a weekend in the Lakes last year (or maybe the year before) we stopped off in a pub for lunch and were painfully conscious of a family (2 adults & 2 kids) at another table who barely acknowledged each other through the entire meal and each was busy tapping and stroking away at their e-devices while they ate. During the same trip we used the car ferry across Windermere, not because we needed to but as part of the Lakes experience for the kids. On the ferry we saw another family drive on to the boat and again, family of four, switched off the engine and sat there in the car with noses glued to their devices for the whole crossing. They barely looked up to take in the beauty of the surroundings or savour the experience of the moment.

I have a word for this, Tragic! It is a tragedy for modern society and I for one can mot see this trend ending well.....
The new devices just make an old problem worse. I was sent on a business course once in the mid-1980s, stopping at the Haweswater hotel in the Lake District. We got a free afternoon and were dropped off at the car park at the end of the reservoir, and from there walked up into the mountains to do a circuit of Haweswater.

The car park was full of cars. 50% of the cars had people sat in them, the car radios on, the occupants drinking from flasks, reading newspapers and so on. The people from the other cars were having picnics - in the car park! I'm not kidding - they had moved a couple of yards from their cars and that was it! They could have gone a couple of hundred yards up a footpath and enjoyed fantastic elevated views of the reservoir and its surrounding mountains, but they didn't bother ...

I can't see people suddenly turning away from this technology. Those of us who fight against it will increasingly be seen as very old and very odd.

Yes, it IS tragic!

jayonabike