Gadgets at the table?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I upset friends of ours when I turned their teenage daughter's phone use into a game

It is an old one now, but still works

Search for Bluetooth devices in the pub...... then try and match "Sexy Jill", "Ivan the Stud" and all the other bizzare names to the customers

Hours of fun and a way to use the technology to ignite conversation

mustang1

Legendary Member
I was once told that humans are social creatures. Funny that, whenever I'm on the train I never see.strangers talking to each other. They always seem to talk to people they already know and usually on the phone.

So I guess the family the op saw was a normal.sociable family. They were xomminicating with each other via iPads.

Sara_H

Guru
No gadgets at our table, though I can remember propping my Beano up against the milk bottle at the table when I were a lass!

ayceejay

Guru
We used to visit relatives when I was a boy (I'm a girl now to save someone the bother) and all I had available was gazing into space, a sudden flu attack or mass murder: any gadget that distracted me from that tedium would have made me a techie in a jiffie.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I grew up in an Irish- American household. Wide ranging debates on nearly any topic, and you'd better bring your A-Game. Visiting relatives was a treat, they were even more interesting than smart phones. A lot of people who ignore their families with a smart phone would probably be ignoring them with something else, like a book. Or Tetris.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3361071, member: 259"]Not from that lot, I think I've chucked them all, but there are others. Here's the Foxsat pauper's DVR control:

View attachment 60782

And the Apple TV which "just works" when the dog hasn't chewed the edge :sad:.
View attachment 60783

And the base of the electric piano. :ohmy:
View attachment 60784 [/QUOTE]
Tried a few coins in an empty can? I trained a Pocket Beagle (who shall remain nameless) to stop chewing and scratching at upholstery over a weekend. The noise is apparently as enervating as their chewing is to us.

perplexed

Guru
In a pub with a friend once. Halfway through a sentence, I just stopped talking and added a few words of randomness as a test. The friend had looked down at the table where is phone was and started to fiddle with it and chortle. He didn't notice I'd changed tack completely. He was like a two year old with a similar attention span.

I just looked at the missus and shrugged. It is simply so bloody rude.

We avoid going out for meals with this person, because I'm not sure why we should pay to be in a sociable environment to talk to each other and friends, when in reality we mainly talk to each other. We'd rather do this in the comfort of our own home and not pay for the priviledge of being cut dead if someone's phone rings. I wouldn't mind if it was vital, but it's always some inane b******s...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's not just at the table is it? They are everywhere with their fecking gadgets, twunts crossing the road with their faces looking at the screen, I saw a twunt cycling the other day (on the road) no hands on the bike txting or summat on the phone headphones on as well, so he couldn't hear what was about him, a silly tart driving down the M4 passed me on Sunday "one thumbing" something on her phone in clear sight. I'm often doing a show and I can see these silly twunts using the phone. What the fark fuggering heck is so fark fuggering important that you cant put the daffodil farking phone away for an hour?

And another thing, in a Little Chef back in the summer I saw two kids and a dad, the kids were young and I guessed the kids are with the dad for the day, not talking to each other all three on some gadget or other, and one of the kids about 8 or 9 years old is drinking red bull! That can't be right can it, a kid that young drinking that shite?

I rarely take my phone in to restaurants or pubs, especially if I'm with someone, I don't want to be distracted or interrupted, I'm looking forward to the day I don't need a phone for work, I'll just dump the feckin' thing.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Actually the ones I feel sorry for are kids in a buggy with Mum chatting away on the phone to invisible friends rather than to the child. I used to natter to my children then natter with them once they could answer. No idea if it will have any long term noticeable effect on their language development.
This +100^^^

Top Bottom