Gah! puncture repair fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
pro of a frame pump is that it's always visibly there

Where ! :tongue:

Don't assume that replacing the tube is a new tube each time.

I carry spare tube(s) for each wheel, and as above, replace the tube because it is quicker and easier at the roadside

Then in the warmth and comfort of my office or kitchen I repair the p*nct*re and place the tube back in my reserve.

Tynan

Veteran
happened to me one time in four years, almost certainly because I hadn't put it in right, they're a tenner a throw anyway and much better at pumping up than any other pump I've tried

we have potholes in london if that what the Portsmouth remarks are about, you have to have the right length for your frame obviouslly, mine is a very snug fit

or if you mean nicked, I don't leave my bike anyway where the proles can finger it

me too re spare tube, I used to fix roadside but my eyes aren't up to seeing the hole anymore, I fix them in the kitchen now with reading glasses, music, a cup of tea and a frame pump

or it if happens on the way to work: reading glasses, a smaller sink and the aforementioned frame pump

Mallory

pro of a frame pump is that it's always visibly there

True!!!

But as I found out the seals on my lezyne pump had worn out so air was leaking out of the pump faster than i could get it into the tube :cursing:

Of course it was the middle of no-where, freezing and pissing down. Riding at approx 40/60psi on carbon clinchers with open tubular tyres was, interesting :eek:

Licramite

Über Member
I always use the little self adhesive patches, they work fine , don't last forever, I had one go , it was about a year old.
I find the hole by inflating the tyre and holding to my ear, just run it around and you will feel the escaping air.
I never understood why a pump isn't built into the frame under the seat post driven from the pedal crank as standard. plenty of room for it.
But I've had to cycle home on the rims in effect before now - I've learned my lesson. mini-pump and repair kit every time.

keep the pump on the frame (unless at college in which case it's in my pannier once I get to college), and some self adhesive patchs & 2 tyre levers plus a multi tool kit in a small hiviz bag on the back on the seat. never had an issue with self-adhesive patches just partially inflate the tube before sticking it on (so you don't over stretch the patch when you inflate the tyre afterwards). Have cycled thousands of miles on patched tubes without issue (on tour) never needing to add air to my tyres for months on end.
But you have reminded me that I need to get a new 'holder' for my pump so I can switch it between the road bike and mtb which also has presta valves on it ^_^

thefollen

Veteran
Never actually 'patched up' a puncture- always switched the inner. Don't get them very often but it always seems to be the back wheel. Cue grubby hands. Much better at getting the tyre on only with fingers now- the roadie ones are really stubborn. Thumb power!

Forgetting the pump's definitely a 'rat's cocks!' moment :-)

Top Bottom