Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Probably wrong, but it looks like Highlands (reminds me of A82 around Glencoe but not sure it's exactly the same). Will have a look at Streetview...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Underneath the Five Sisters of Kintail, heading down Glen Shiel?
No need to be hesitant, because that is exactly right.

All logic suggests that the car would have stopped in the lay-by on the left, and the picture was taken from the other side of the road.

And I had a really good clue lined up for this one. :sad: Over to you @slow scot.

Last edited:

slow scot

Veteran
Could I please ask @ColinJ to post one of his photos. All mine are on ancient slides, and my computer knowledge is so limited that “ Streetview” is way beyond my ken.
Love the thread though, but seem to be limited to recognising only those north of the border.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I fear I have to withdraw this one. It should be Glen Coe in July/August 1965, but whereas yesterday I felt certain I had a convincing match, today I'm not so sure. This satellite image shows the track of the old road in relation to the current A82 and the river towards the top of the glen:

There's a point just to the left of centre where things seem to be aligned about right, which would mean the A82 now blasts its way through the middle of my picture. But it looks as though the river ought to be more gorgy at that point, and my picture doesn't look as though it could have been taken much further down.

The holiday was for my parents a reprise of a trip they did 10 years earlier on their motorbike and sidecar. This was before they were married (separate rooms of course) and somewhere I have an album with their black and white snaps. They will have captions so there's a chance I may be able find some conclusive evidence.

From the same 1965 holiday, this should be a much fairer test. Details have changed but there's no problem getting a 100% match this time:

Tribansman

Veteran
Interesing post and history.

I was going to say Glencoe again!! Was just looking for the right spot.

Don't immediately recognise your new one but did stop at a similar looking hotel in between Inverness and Fort Augustus...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Neither of those, but you're heading in the right direction.

In the unlikely event that it's needed, I've give a clue first thing tomorrow.

Top Bottom