Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Indeed it is. It was nice to see that so little of significance has changed in 55 years, apart from clearing the trees which must have partially obscured the view across the water. Rhododenrons are an alien species anyway.

For the record, when I passed this way in 1983 I headed straight up to Shieldaig and Loch Torridon, then on to Gairloch. But for the low cloud of course I would...

Over to you @swansonj

Tribansman

Veteran
Brings back great memories for me, got the train to Plockton nearly 15 years ago and did Lochcarron, Bealach na Ba, Applecross, Shieldaig, Torridon, Kinlochewe, Gairloch, Ullapool, Inverness over 3 amazing days. Was in my early 20s and had just got back into cycling after being too lazy in my teens. Didn't have any proper kit - I remember wearing jeans and a light fleece! - and a bike that was too big and too heavy but was one of the best 3 days riding I've ever done. Empty roads and just the most majestic scenery.

Unfortunately, my other half ain't keen on glorious isolation kind of places, so may have to wait till my lad's older to go back up there for a mini tour with him over a long weekend.

swansonj

Guru
RIMG1004.JPG

I might struggle to locate on Streetview the exact spot but the road in general is glorious all the way from its high point to its low point (both of which might feature in clues if needed).

Last edited:

Tribansman

Veteran
That's impossible. No one can possibly get that. It'll be here forever.

This is what I think every time. And someone always gets it pretty quickly. :laugh:
Me too! But that one's going to be tough without clues. No landmarks or hills to help distinguish and a heather clad moorland road like that could be just about anywhere in Yorks, Lancs, Cumbria, Northumberland, etc and 75% of Wales and Scotland! :wacko:

swansonj

Guru
Me too! But that one's going to be tough without clues. No landmarks or hills to help distinguish and a heather clad moorland road like that could be just about anywhere in Yorks, Lancs, Cumbria, Northumberland, etc and 75% of Wales and Scotland! :wacko:
I appreciate that there are not many clues (although, like @Dogtrousers, I think that about half the pictures people post here!) But my next photo from that day was just over the brow of the hill, and that shows the Inn, which is a dead giveaway.

swansonj

Guru
I think that road is heading north and is on the North York Moors?
whistling.gif
When @Tribansman said...
.... a heather clad moorland road like that could be just about anywhere in Yorks, Lancs, Cumbria, Northumberland, etc and 75% of Wales and Scotland! :wacko:
....I was thinking to myself that heather as purple as that is surely distinctive of just one of those places. You seem to agree!

Thinking about it, I'll agree it could have been Scotland. But it ain't ^_^

swansonj

Guru
A dead giveaway indeed. I went immediately to where I thought, and indeed there is heather, there is a skyline, there is a road leading to the skyline, and there is an inn. But there are no markings down the middle of the roads. Hmmmm. Not that inn then. Or at least, not there.:wacko:
Nice Mr Streetview confirms that there are white lines all the way from the top by the Inn:
1614706569848.png

to half way down:
1614706618577.png

to the steeper bit near the bottom:
1614706779976.png

Oh God, having traversed the whole of that glorious road on Streetview, how I long to be able to get back there for real :cry:

Tribansman

Veteran
When @Tribansman said...

....I was thinking to myself that heather as purple as that is surely distinctive of just one of those places. You seem to agree!

Thinking about it, I'll agree it could have been Scotland. But it ain't ^_^
Ok, my knowledge of heather hues is lacking!

And yeah, exploring maps and Streetview for this thread recently has really made me yearn to go further afield - especially as the lanes of Hertfordshire whilst pleasantly rural are not a patch on moors, coasts and the Highlands. I miss proper hills!

swansonj

Guru
And yeah, exploring maps and Streetview for this thread recently has really made me yearn to go further afield - especially as the lanes of Hertfordshire whilst pleasantly rural are not a patch on moors, coasts and the Highlands. I miss proper hills!
I live close to the Surrey Hills, and Box Hill is my go-to one-hour round trip, so I'm not lacking cycling challenges. But what I really miss is roads (and hills) that go on for miles and miles. Yesterday, in pursuit of that Scottish hotel, I Street-viewed along the Road to the Isles from Fort William to Mallaig, which is basically the best part of a day's cycle tour, all just on one road, precious few towns, precious few junctions, just start pedalling and keep pedalling. Here in the south-east, you can't go more than 5 minutes max before coming to a junction.

swansonj

Guru
I can't find an exact view on Streetview, but... is it taken on Blakey Ridge, with the Lion Inn on the other side of the hill? :whistle:
It is, well done, and as I said, I was struggling to find the exact Streetview match too.

That particular day has assumed mythological status in our family. We were having a family holiday in a cottage in Snainton. Having done Blakey Ridge several times before solo, I'd been singing its virtues as one of the best freewheels in the country. We'll drive up to the Lion Inn, I said, have lunch, then we'll all freewheel down to Hutton-le-Hole, freewheel all the way, you won't need to turn a single pedal. Then I'll cycle back up to get the car and come and pick you up. Easy peasy and very enjoyable. So we duly had lunch at the Lion Inn. But then there was a truly horrendous headwind, and far from freewheeling all the way, they were pedalling into a gale, and only got to freewheel on the steepest bit at the bottom. So my name was mud, everytime we're out on a cycle and I say "freewheel" I get teased, and the only saving grace was that Hutton-le-Hole were having their annual duck race. And I got practically blown back up Blakey Ridge.

swansonj

Guru
The Lion Inn, by the way:
1614717483984.png

As the official Lyke Wake Walk route description says: "There are some people who believe the route passes a hundred yards to the north of the Lion Inn. They are in a minority."

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The heather made it very likely to be the North York Moors. The direction that the roadside vegetation was growing indicated what direction the prevailing 'anti-freewheeling' wind blows (from the SW, therefore the road was heading north). It would have taken a lot longer without the hint about the Inn!

Ok, here is my next picture. Apologies if I have used it before in this thread. (You won't have to be particularly observant to notice that I have used it before in a different context... And yes, I didn't take it! :whistle:)

I reckon that there are at least 4 or 5 useful clues in the photo.

Name That Road!

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
The heather made it very likely to be the North York Moors. The direction that the roadside vegetation was growing indicated what direction the prevailing 'anti-freewheeling' wind blows (from the SW, therefore the road was heading north). It would have taken a lot longer without the hint about the Inn!

Ok, here is my next picture. Apologies if I have used it before in this thread. (You won't have to be particularly observant to notice that I have used it before in a different context... And yes, I didn't take it! :whistle:)

View attachment 576778

I reckon that there are at least 4 or 5 useful clues in the photo.

Name That Road!
Just here between Marshaw and Scorton in the Forest of Bowland
1614727130514.png

there was just something about it that recalled my only ride therebouts, one of @ColinJ 's springtime specials a few years ago - and what a good ride it was too

Top Bottom