Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Clues:

1. I’m on an “A” road, albeit a not-very-busy one.
2. If you look very closely where it narrows just behind those little islands, you can just about make out a ferry.
3. Further down the hill, it would not be uncommon to hear Handel's “The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba”.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Your pic is the A8003 looking down the Kyles of Bute.

Reminds me of a school dance many years ago (obvs). These always had a scottish country dance band providing the music. The numpty who was getting the tickets and posters printed had asked the organiser who the band was and unfortunately had them printed with the verbatim answer.

The posters announced the band as 'Glenda Rule OK'.

bruce1530

Guru
Yes, the A8003, at the top of the climb out from Tighnabruaich, on the road to Ormidale. Anyone who’s done the “5 ferries” route will have been there,

The island on the right is Bute.
Just beyond the little islands you can see the colintraive-rhubodach ferry. That was the next ferry on my trip - looks pretty close, but you need to go round the top of Loch Riddon to get there, so about 20 miles by road.

And the “queen of sheba” comment is a reference to the boats going through the kyle. The paddle steamer “Waverley” and the clyde steamer Queen Mary were often timetabled to pass through the narrows around the same time. Waverley often had to wait for the "old lady" to pass, and would play the music over it’s tannoy. They still play that music on the approach to the narrows.

Mr Celine - your turn!

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
For anyone who didn't get it, the dance band were named after Glendaruel, which is just to the north of where @bruce1530 's photo was taken.

Here's an easy one. Celine bikes and beach tent in the background, Mrs Celine applauding.

IMG_0975.JPG

Bonus points for naming the other cyclist photobombing my pic.

D275?

(Not that I'm submitting another photo if that's right - I 'm all out of compliant photos now :-\ )

Top Bottom