Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
It is somewhere in East Anglia, right? :whistle:
Do they have kangaroos in East Anglia?
Loch Lomond would have been warmer, there is a colony of wallabies on one of the islands.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I would take a guess at Carr Brae, Dornie.
Spot on. Photos were taken in 2016.

The day after we drove 10 miles up Glen Shiel, dumped the car and walked back to the campsite over the five sisters, which are the hills on the left of the photo. I drew the short straw and set off to cycle back up the glen to retrieve the car just as the rain started. 10 miles up hill, into a headwind, after a 10 mile hillwalk, in the sort of rain you only get on the west coast, on a narrow road saturated with tourist buses. Not fun.

Over to you @snorri .

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Spot on. Over to you @snorri .
Thank you! I don't have many road pictures, but try this one:smile:.
QyLDECzmlZ1SbmMoeFk9qExGyKzh73TShzeBZWa7K9n-vvpzCGTJGEV1l5IiRgo85R7pONRCLqg8xtjhqeY=w800-h600-no.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
As nobody has yet had a try on this one, I'll have a punt on Carbisdale, but like my last punt I feel I may be wrong.
I was hoping someone would name the road, but no one is coming forward:sad:.
You are right about the castle, and the photo is taken on the NCN1 northbound between Ardgay and Culrain.
Well done, over to you @slow scot:smile:.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was hoping someone would name the road, but no one is coming forward:sad:.
You are right about the castle, and the photo is taken on the NCN1 northbound between Ardgay and Culrain.
Well done, over to you @slow scot:smile:.
I used Streetview to check out slow scot's guess but I was looking too close to the castle and couldn't see it.

I was struck by the very unusual name of the road though - Inveroykel Culrain! Sounds like the vikings have been there at some point?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah ... Inveroykel - mouth of the Oykel. Oykel, from Gaelic Òiceall, known to the vikings as the Ekkjal (link)!

I never learned any Gaelic, even though my mum could speak it as a child. She was probably one of the first Scottish family members to speak English as her primary language.

slow scot

Veteran
As I mentioned up thread when I spotted the Ben Loyal picture, I have no camera and therefore no pictures. But I love the thread and hope somebody on my behalf will jump in and post a photo.
The road upto and beyond Carbisdale Castle is superb; not all of you will know that, until some years ago, the castle was a Youth Hostel. I believe the cost of repairs ended its reign. It's now in private hands.

snorri

Legendary Member
That's a pity. My digital 1:25,000 OS map is from 2016 and that still showed the YH red triangle.
Yes, there was serious frost damage one winter and the SYHA deliberated for a bit and eventually it was sold. Although a fine building from the ouside, the inside was in need of considerable upgrading to make it into what people expect of a 21st century hostel.

Top Bottom