Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm torn between being a sad smartarse who finds it after 37 hours of scanning the entire GB OS 1:50,000 map, or being a curious normal person who comes back in a day or two to discover where some sad smartarse found it after 37 hours of scanning the entire GB OS 1:50,000 map! :whistle:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
they look like cows in the distance and there are virtually no cows in the Peak District, just sheep

Those hills look pretty high compared to the lowland off to the right, got to be getting on for 1000ft. South Downs? The hills don't look particularly glaciated
They're Belted Galloways.

There's a lot of Belties near me in Surrey, but this photo must be somewhere else because I see a coastal path.

Footnote -it's also a heavily zoomed image.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
OK so now it's easy.

If that's a coastal path, presumably the brown broken ground is actually the sea cliffs, and even if not this road is *very* close to the sea.

A roads right by the sea in England (we've been told not Wales or Scotland I think) in hilly terrain without habitation are vanishingly rare.

So, having mocked @ColinJ earlier, I've just looked round the entire coastline.

The Isle of Wight gives the closest match and...

...no gravy. Still stumped.

Maybe somewhere Cornwall or Devon, but candidates are few and far between.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The Isle of Wight gives the closest match
I had a look there too...

I've not looked again since last night so I'll have another go now.

And doing it when not tired obviously pays off! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Those hills really did look a lot higher, which is what was misleading me!

lazybloke

I had a look there too...

I've not looked again since last night so I'll have another go now.

And doing it when not tired obviously pays off! :laugh:

View attachment 587365
Well done Colin.
I thought someone might notice my "cows" reference (Cowes) as a pointer to the Isle of Wight!

Those hills look bigger because of sneaky camera angles and zoom, and also because the landscape is unusually bare for Southern England - you'd expect to see far more trees, shrubs & hedges.

As for the road, I've cycled it twice in the opposite direction with StuAff on his annual "night ride around the island".
It's also part of the Randonnee route (which sadly has been cancelled again this year).
The view west to the Needles is spectacular in early morning sun.

Over to you Colin!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My first guess would be Lincolnshire Wolds, probably from the Louth side.

Hmm - had a look again, and my second choice would be that we are looking at the Cotswolds Escarpment here.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Hmm. I've been looking at the Chilterns/North-Wessex Downs. Not very familiar with the area so should probably focus on other bits & bobs (like my work)

Top Bottom