Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If the hill the photo was taken on was 270m (and assuming it's near the top), the hill behind the house must be at least 400m which narrows it down a bit
The fact that the land to the left appears to become very low lying and flat makes me thing it isn't W of the Pennines (as I thought it was) because there is precious little flat land that close to big 400m hills. Maybe it's just E of the Pennines in Yorkshire where it quickly flattens out?

Alex321

Veteran
If the hill the photo was taken on was 270m (and assuming it's near the top), the hill behind the house must be at least 400m which narrows it down a bit
The fact that the land to the left appears to become very low lying and flat makes me thing it isn't W of the Pennines (as I thought it was) because there is precious little flat land that close to big 400m hills. Maybe it's just E of the Pennines in Yorkshire where it quickly flattens out?
We have been told it is in Yorkshire, but not North York Moors.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looks like there is flat country beyond the top left of the pic.
The fact that the land to the left appears to become very low lying and flat...
I don't think it IS flat up there, but I can see why you thought it was. Stick to searching hills and valleys!

If the hill the photo was taken on was 270m (and assuming it's near the top)...
It is very near the top of the road.

... the hill behind the house must be at least 400m which narrows it down a bit
The moorland hill behind the house does go up to 400+ m.

Here's a clue... We are not looking at the North York Moors national park. Melvyn Bragg's view? Splendid Yorkshire countryside!

I have another clue in reserve if that one doesn't suffice.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
bring it out.....

found a reference to Mytholmroyd and MB, but can't see anything around there (and I was looking that general area before the MB clue).

I fancy we are viewing approx to the north, (trees have a slight kilt to the right) but i might be wrong.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I looked at places connected with MB and only came up with Cumbria (well Oxford and London too, but ignore those).
Maybe Cumbria is in view.

Or maybe it's a reference to "South Bank" after the TV show, but that seems to point to flat places in York or Teeside.
Are there other "South Bank"s in Yorkshire?

Or it's a more cryptic clue. I'm only good at quick crosswords.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Round here 'bank' is often used for a steep hill. As you can see from the gradient sign, that picture is the view from a steep hill.

I remind you that...
We are not looking at the North York Moors national park.

I fancy we are viewing approx to the north, (trees have a slight kilt to the right) but i might be wrong
You are correct.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Round here 'bank' is often used for a steep hill. As you can see from the gradient sign, that picture is the view from a steep hill.

It IS in Yorkshire, and we are not in (or looking at) the NY Moors.
The moorland hill behind the house does go up to 400+ m.

Here's a clue... We are not looking at the North York Moors national park. Melvyn Bragg's view? Splendid Yorkshire countryside!

So apart from knowing we are facing north ish, we aren't much further forward are we? I though there was undue emphasis that we are not looking at NY Moors, as though we maybe viewing from, but then nothing above 400m would be in view.

the road is probably called something bank, but that doesn't narrow it down a lot in Yorkshire, i'm defo missing something here. I may kick myself or ColinJ if met him!

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Looks like somewhere near Hawes

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Did MB live in Silverdale?
im on Silverdale road but my data connection playing up
MB hails from Cumbria, and Silverdale is near Morecambe.

I think the MB reference is that we are on a south bank, i.e facing North on the side of a hill.... (that isnt that much higher than the 270m we are at but looking at some 400m + moorland....)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, I was referring to The South Bank Show. Think of this as more of A south bank show.

I had forgotten that parts of the Peak District are in Yorkshire. We are not looking at the North York Moors National Park. We are not looking at the Peak District National Park.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I had to spoon-feed you that, didn't I! :laugh:

You should get it pretty quickly now, given what you know.
To be fair that's where I've been looking 'cos any hilly area looking at 400m + moorland, is in one national park or t'other, so i'm not so sure on the quickly part

Top Bottom