Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Best the NLS can do is this 6" map published 1968.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/189244206

Can't find anything that definitely matches on streetview though.

that ish - London road Walworth road roundabout. there is still a pilon or two on streetview in that vicinity, although doe have the eleavtion.

Saxon way look a bit better for matching the hill
1635177912457.png

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This link, which may not work, will show you Andover 1976-78
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/436500/145500/10/101320

I've mooched around the area enough, so I'm giving up on this. I'm suspecting we may be on a red herring right inside Andover.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I think it's this one - on the B3400 looking NW. Pylon behind the roundabout, new housing estate (not on the 1968 map I linked to).
1635183994312.png

The pylon is still on the 2011 streetview image but doesn't seem to be there now. By 2011 the housing estate had become an industrial estate and the roundabout and the alignment of the approach roads had changed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2...Nm1nsa2g9k8L5EhZZsuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Absolutely right on the location @Mr Celine. Perhaps this one didn't work as well as some, but the 1967 image was so striking I wanted to find a way of using it. At least the car discussion was fun. My scanner's been misbehaving today so I haven't managed to get a higher resolution image yet.

I think the funny houses (with more conventional roofs) are still there in the Apr 2021 Streetview images but they're quite hard to see from the main road through the vegetation. Also the pylon on the right side of the picture is still there but it seems to have lost a few wires. There's an industrial estate with its own access road in the empty area to the north east of the roundabout. I think the roads were lowered a bit when the remodelling was done making it harder to see what's beyond.

I was hoping the tree behind the pylon would still be there but the aerial view shows industrial buildings where it would have been.

I can only assume the flat roofs were declared impractical and subsequently replaced. I've yet to find another image with them looking like they do in my dad's picture.

Over to you @Mr Celine!

Mr Celine

Discordian
Perhaps this one didn't work as well as some, but the 1967 image was so striking I wanted to find a way of using it. At least the car discussion was fun. My scanner's been misbehaving today so I haven't managed to get a higher resolution image yet.
Excellent idea using old pictures, it adds an extra layer of complexity and requires more old map sleuthing.
Having cleared out the parental house I'd been scanning old slides too, or was until the slide scanner had a meltdown. Here's one from 1975. The location hasn't changed as much as your Andover pic so I'll hold off with any clues for now.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Excellent idea using old pictures, it adds an extra layer of complexity and requires more old map sleuthing.
Having cleared out the parental house I'd been scanning old slides too, or was until the slide scanner had a meltdown. Here's one from 1975. The location hasn't changed as much as your Andover pic so I'll hold off with any clues for now.

View attachment 615189

Immediately thought "Leyburn!!"

Completely wrong.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Something about that says Norfolk to me. Specifically the Dereham area. Probably hopelessly wrong.

I'm looking for a village green to the East of the Church.

Interesting how much of the public space had already been given up to roads!

classic33

Leg End Member

View attachment 615189
Those mismatched tyres on the bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think it's this one - on the B3400 looking NW. Pylon behind the roundabout, new housing estate (not on the 1968 map I linked to).
View attachment 615159
The pylon is still on the 2011 streetview image but doesn't seem to be there now. By 2011 the housing estate had become an industrial estate and the roundabout and the alignment of the approach roads had changed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2...Nm1nsa2g9k8L5EhZZsuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
well done, I had scanned down there to, but the road lowering has given it a very different view of the background, but your old map shows its spot on

Top Bottom